Sign in to follow this  
manbeer

just installed a great "budget" system for a friend

I had another G35 buddy come to me about a subwoofer setup a few weeks back. Seems he bought one of the prefab enclosures made to fit the trunk of the g35 that they sell on ebay. The problem... Box for 2 10" subs was only .8 cubes gross. He was looking at a few different subs, mainly JL, and was settling on the W3's.

I happened to stumble across a great deal on RE SR10's and he ordered them, the nice thing about them is that they can play better than most given limited airspace. Even though the box is a lil tight, they don't seemed choked for air on the lows which i envisioned the w3's to be. Threw in a bit of polyfill to pick up some of the slack there. After woofer displacement they are only getting .31 cubes each!

Anyway, i steered him towards a refurb RF T3002, they are/were really cheap at the time. We wired it up with Knu Flex 4awg, Krystal RCA's, and nice Knukoceptz 12awg speaker cable. 2 ogms bridged.

My first impression was that it sounded fantastic, given the limited space we were working with, and the price of the entire setup. If he did not already have the enclosure i would have suggested having a single cutout and running one woofer, but we made the most of what was available. Woofers are nice, sound clean and punchy, and after setting the gains with DMM we actually had to back down quite a bit cause they were more than a match for the rest of the entirely stock stereo. No bass boost.

All in all, the total spent on materials was about $400. here is a breakdown:

1)Used G35 Zenclosure prefab box - $50

1) Refurb Rockford T3002 amplifier- 120 shipped

2) 2x New RE SR10 D2's - 180 shipped

3) Knukonceptz Fleks 4awg kit - 60 shipped

for the money and given the fact that we HAD to have2 10" subs, i was extremely happy with the results and so was he, which is the most important thing. These guys aren't even broken in yet, so they will only get better.

Running @ 2 ohms bridged, backed way down on the gains so i would say the woofers are seeing about ~300w a piece.

i am all about the bargain shopping :)

thinking of trying to snatch up a bunch of these subs for the 69/each plus shipping. The G35 guys always buy these tiny sealed boxes and finally i found a sub that works well in them and is reasonably priced.

I installed another one of these boxes with the IDQ v3 10" in a single cutout a month back running off a 500/1. These are very, very similar in sound but get a bit louder and seem to get every bit as low. not bad at all for the money and the fact that they have the same amount of airspace for the pair as the single idq

Edited by manbeer

Sweet, I didn't know they would like that little space. Did you ever think about covering one of the sub holes so that one 10 would get all the space?

Nice bargains. :)

Sweet, I didn't know they would like that little space. Did you ever think about covering one of the sub holes so that one 10 would get all the space?

Yeah, i actually wanted to do that but you guys know how hard it is to convince someone set on a certain amount of something (inches, watts, etc) that they can achieve equal or better results with less :)

Anyway, it cost about half of the w3 and 500/1 combo he was looking into originally, so now he is thinking about upgrading the rest of the speakers in the car and picking up another on of the T series refurbs, probably a T4004, to run them.

It's a pretty simple matter to cover one of the cutouts on the box and run a single sub... How much depth do you have in the box?

It's a pretty simple matter to cover one of the cutouts on the box and run a single sub... How much depth do you have in the box?

the problem is that 2 10"s sounds better to most people that aren't really into the technical aspects of mobile audio. it's hard to explain that you can get the just about the same results from 1 10" woofer with the same amount of airspace, and have better low end to boot

This is the box he has:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZENCLOSURES...emZ300260367915

i really don't like the stuff that this guy makes. he doesn't really make use of certain areas where he could gain airspace, basically just makes them so sit nice and flush. performance is not the main concern

Well when you look at the cars that he makes enclosures for it becomes pretty clear why. The people doing stuff to those cars don't care about much more than it looking impressive...he's just catering to the market he chose.