Sign in to follow this  
RaTtLz

DVC to dual amps

:slayer: Hi everyone, I have a dual 2ohm that is 1200 wrms and 2000 peak. Can I run a 800wrms amp or more on each vc? the sub is PG titanium elite (proven power hogs). How common of a practice is this? The reason I ask is because it seems like that application would use the woofer to the fullness of its potential. Later everyone :drink40:

each amp will see 1/2 ohm for a total of 1 ohm. gain matching is very important to get exactly in this, and you dont need to feed it the full rms wattage. thats what gains are for.

sorry guys I meant dual 4 ohm. Reguardless are you not to match the rms of the speaker to the rms of the amp? and am I correct in assuming that all the gain is for is to set the correct line voltage from your hu?

each amp will see 1/2 ohm for a total of 1 ohm. gain matching is very important to get exactly in this, and you dont need to feed it the full rms wattage. thats what gains are for.

Actually, each amp would have seen 2 ohms if he had a dual 2 ohm sub and wired one amp to each voice coil.

and Rattlz, thank goodness you know about the gain being there to match the voltage from the head unit. You have no idea how many new people we get on here that have no idea about that. However, matching the gain to the voltage is the maximum you should go with the gain. However, you can always turn it down after that matching to get less power out of the amplifier if it is too powerful for your sub, which it seems to be in this case.

KU40 pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also, don't forget that the RMS of the speaker has absolutely NOTHING to do with how much power it requires. Period.

Additionally, you'll want to match the gain between the two amps as close as you can. The sole reason for this is you don't want one running out of gas before the other, and one working harder than the other (one might not last as long as the other if it is doing more of the work). If they aren't matched, they DO NOT fight each other or hurt the sub in any way whatsover, the power they produce is additive when it reaches the subs voice coil only.

If they aren't matched, they DO NOT fight each other or hurt the sub in any way whatsover, the power they produce is additive when it reaches the subs voice coil only.

Man I wish everyone could understand this. . . I hear over and over how if the gains are not match exactly it will hurt the sub.

:rockwoot:I learned the gain matching thing from this site!!

You guys are very helpful and informative, keep it up! :rockwoot:

If they aren't matched, they DO NOT fight each other or hurt the sub in any way whatsover, the power they produce is additive when it reaches the subs voice coil only.
Thats what the main thing I was wondering as I have heard it both ways. Edited by RaTtLz

Thats what the main thing I was wondering as I have heard it both ways.

Yeah, it is a real common misconception...

Man I wish everyone could understand this. . . I hear over and over how if the gains are not match exactly it will hurt the sub.

I have seen first hand more than one time woofers being blown from people trying to run separate amps to separate coils...I would not recommend it, why don't you just get a 1200 rms amp? alpine even has a new m2000 that is 2000 watts at 2 ohms, it would be a good match for the sub, always nice to have a little overhead.

and from my learning and experience, it's the slight difference in signal and tone reproduction from amp to amp that causes the destruction, not necessarily the difference in power.

This thread is a year old...understandable how it may be confusing due to it being October of '08....

I have seen first hand more than one time woofers being blown from people trying to run separate amps to separate coils...I would not recommend it,

You may have seen it several times, but it wasn't because they were running separate amps. There was something else at play.

and from my learning and experience, it's the slight difference in signal and tone reproduction from amp to amp that causes the destruction, not necessarily the difference in power.

False. Another misconception.

Even if there were "a slight difference in signal" from the amplifiers (which would be very slight in two even mediocre amplifiers....like, slight enough to possibly be measurable but certainly not audible), the subwoofer would not be damaged. It would play the sum of the signals, not self-destruct. What do you think the original use of DVC was? It was to allow connection of both channels of stereo sound to a single driver (subwoofer, for example) so it could reproduce the signal contained in both channels.