mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

thinking about getting an account on etrade. Not sure I'd go for stocks as the market is insane right now, but I might toss in some soon to try it out. Thoughts? They have a savings account with 3.3% interest and you can instantly transfer from there to a brokerage account. That's like having a CD but without the set time frame. Sweet.

Make sure you check all that. I know most higher-interest account are an introductory rate and they have more fees.

Can anyone do a CarFax for me?

Sean's casserole potato crack recipe is mixed up and in the oven. :)

ryan, been looking for someone with a carfax for a while now, if you find someone let me know, i'll do the same for you

Career Fair'd it today

Apparently I am perfect material for law enforcement. Every police force there said I would be the perfect officer because of my size and "that determined look" in my eyes...uh, sure

Always believe recruiters.

NOT

I knew they were bullshittin me when they said that I'm a "big guy". I'm only slightly above average if you can believe the statistics for human height in America

i know people think i'm huge. when i walk up, things typically settle down, and i'm not a big guy. though i get told that a lot. sean can verify the overall big guy thing, he has me by about 5" or so. and i don't think i look mean at all......

really.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

T.O.P.

:nutkick:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sean's potato casserole mix and some pork chops was a delicious supper.

Ryan, how hard would it be to modify a car alternator to charge a 36V battery bank?

I really wish GM Parts Direct would let me know if my stuff had shipped

They make alternators into welders, I see nothing to terribly hard about a 36v one...

*awaits Ryan1's response*

Ryan, how hard would it be to modify a car alternator to charge a 36V battery bank?

Depends. Could be as simple as a custom regulator, or simply adding a transformer or DC to DC converter. The real question is, how much current will you need.

Depends. Could be as simple as a custom regulator, or simply adding a transformer or DC to DC converter. The real question is, how much current will you need.

A lot. This is for my senior design project. It has a hybrid drive train with an alternator powering 5hp worth of electric motors at 36 volts.

A lot. This is for my senior design project. It has a hybrid drive train with an alternator powering 5hp worth of electric motors at 36 volts.

SHIT! I don't know Tom, sounds too technical for me.

How long does this have to live? A custom regulator should do the trick I'd imagine.

*edit* You'll only need 101amps?

Possibility of running through a step up transformer?

How long does this have to live? A custom regulator should do the trick I'd imagine.

long enough to show the prof that it works, basically just drive around a couple buildings on campus

I'd start by pulling a regulator off of a GM large case and seeing what you can get with that, and see what it takes to make a custom one. Even if you need 200amps worth of current it sounds doable to me, possibility of putting dual alternators on it?

Possibility of running through a step up transformer?

whatever works, and yeah, we're looking at 110+ amps

I'd start by pulling a regulator off of a GM large case and seeing what you can get with that, and see what it takes to make a custom one. Even if you need 200amps worth of current it sounds doable to me, possibility of putting dual alternators on it?

yep, anything's possible as we're designing this all ourselves

the alt(s) will be spun at wherever their output peaks

If your going to be running standard electric motors, I would imagine it would be easiest to run them at as high of voltage that you can get to reduce the wire size, etc, etc. That is if you can achieve that voltage.

What are you spinning the alternator with?

I'm just thinking out loud here... Never claimed to know wtf I'm doing. :)

If your going to be running standard electric motors, I would imagine it would be easiest to run them at as high of voltage that you can get to reduce the wire size, etc, etc. That is if you can achieve that voltage.

What are you spinning the alternator with?

The motors we're looking at are rated at 36V, I think things start to melt if run much past that

a small gas engine, lawn mower size

So your using a gas engine to spin a generator to spin a motor, and why?

very interesting.

as a electrical engineering major myself.

this interest me quiet a bit i wanna see this work. maybe u should start a log, when u start getting some more ideas inline.

im tuned in.

Intrigued, but my thoughts would be go with a custom voltage regulator, graph the output, spin it in that range, then flog the shit out of it. :)