Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys,

Can anyone suggest a good flip up touch screen unit. Just looking for something thats decent and will look good in the car :)

Josh

I am thinking of going with a Jensen product, anyone have any pro/cons on these HU's ?

I really dont like the toough screens that much but screw it, I AM A try one. I will just have to keep some wipes in the car ;)

Edited by JoshM20

Personally, I have had experience with Kenwood, Alpine and Clarion Toush screens, slip ups and in dash and I like the Alpines the best. A little spendy. I'd spend the extra money and go with a Kenwood Excelon if you can. They aren't as expensive as the Alpines (unless you guy a more expensive Kenwood), but they work well and have a good deal of features.

The Kenwood KVT719 is my favorite, at the moment. The Pioneer units are very nice as well, but if you want nav, Garmin > TeleAtlas. Not to mention Garmin offers free updates, Pioneer charges a couple hundred bucks a year for map updates. Unfortunately, the 719 doesn't come with nav, but the 510 unit will add nav to it. It'll cost you about $1400 total from a true authorized retailer, but it's a very nice units, with tons of features, and the best add-ons of any brand. Alpines accessory modules are horrible. The bluetooth doesn't work with anything, the nav piece is $700, until the NVEP1 comes out later this month, and it's still $300. If your main concern is iPod interface, which it is for most people, then just about anything will work wonderfully. jLink for the Jensen/Phase Linear units works quite well, unfortunately the HU itself is poop, especially if you want to build any kind of system around it. Kenwood or Pioneer is gonna give you 5v pre-outs on their flip-outs, some Alpines will give you 4v, some 2v. Jensen and PL, 2v. Line driver(s) would help, but a Jensen + a GOOD line driver = almost the price of a nice Pioneer or Kenwood.

you can pick up 5700's from pioneer on ebay for 300 or so now days

Jensens are very good, you wont regret buying one. but the pioneer on ebay is good too

well I use to have the old flipdown from pioneer back in the day, and it quit working on me twice, sent it back twice both times they said it was ok, then it would work for about a week or two and quit again. I really like pioneer but I personally have had issues with them. So I'm not sure if i wanna go with them or the jensen.

What do you mean 5v out and 2v out?

Dual = sucks

Piece of shit cd player barely works.

Dual as in 2v? On the jensen specs it says preamp or postamp voltage = 4volts

Dual = sucks

Dual as in 2v? On the jensen specs it says preamp or postamp voltage = 4volts

No, Dual meaning the company. Worst purchase I bought but it was cool to have a flip up head unit.

Dual = sucks

agreed. i know someone who got his and his volume knob just doesnt work lol

I'm gonna go with the Jensen VM9512

:)

Quite a few good reviews on that deck. To me.. Jensen has always been a fairly cheap company though, so if you want quality.. I'd head to Alpine or Eclipse territory.