hey guys and girls, I've been looking around for a H/O alternator for my 03 VW Golf GTI. I was speaking to a representative from Kinetik's about power cells that I will be needing to power my soon to be Sundown Audio 3000 amp. The representative told me that the higher than amperage from the alternator, the more power will be drained from the engine. He was also telling me that it is a big enough drain since I drive a 4 cyl car. Soon after I spoke to a representative from Ohio Alternators and he told me that the loss of horsepower would only be be a maximum of 5 from the engine with a 200 amp alternator at full power. Anybody have any input on the situation? This is my daily driver and i want to be sure i can still drive the car "normally" on a daily basis...

THanks,

Andrew

well while i was talking to the representative from Kinetics, he made it sound like there was a great loss in horsepower due to the alternator pulling power from the engine...

You're adding a sundown 3000d so i'm guessing some massive subs as well. You're looking at around 200lbs of added weight at least(not counting batteries) and you're worried about losing hp from the alternator? Just do some mods to offset the weight/hp loss or go with a lower power/lighter setup.

ive done few thinks in college about loses in system. and that a 200 amp alt will put out 2800 watts at 14 volts, 2800 watts ~ 3.75 horsepower, so that should be the most its taking from the engine, but add in more losed from the pulley and stuff like that maybe takes off another .5 to 1 horsepower, so you should only loose at most 4.75 horsepower from the engine,

ive got a 4 cylinder accord with 200 amp alt, 50 lb sub, 100 lb box, 2 50 lb kinetik batts, sundown amp~20 lb i think. and I AM AN IDIOT AND I CANNOT SPELL PROBABLY 100 lb dynamat, that 200 amp alt has a very little affect on how poorly my car performs now.

not being mean man but if you can't tell much of a difference with that much stuff in your car then you don't pay very much attention to how your car performs. I can notice a difference with my 5' tall gf in the passenger seat of my car.

The point is if you're going to add all this stuff to your car there's no point in caring about how much hp you're going to lose on the alternator, it won't be nearly as much as you lose from the rest of the stuff, and it won't affect your handling at all.

not being mean man but if you can't tell much of a difference with that much stuff in your car then you don't pay very much attention to how your car performs. I can notice a difference with my 5' tall gf in the passenger seat of my car.

The point is if you're going to add all this stuff to your car there's no point in caring about how much hp you're going to lose on the alternator, it won't be nearly as much as you lose from the rest of the stuff, and it won't affect your handling at all.

was that comment towards me, because i said, the alt isnt what is affecting how bad my car performs, rather all the stuff in my trunk

and also, im not an idiot I can spell..what did i spell wrong?

I'm guessing you didn't spell probably right. You also missed thinks=things, loses, losed, loose, but i never called you an idiot???

btw my post was both to you and to the OP, the whole point of the thread is about hp from the alt. With his car he shouldn't be worrying about it at all if he's adding all the other crap to the car.

I'm guessing you didn't spell probably right. You also missed thinks=things, loses, losed, loose, but i never called you an idiot???

btw my post was both to you and to the OP, the whole point of the thread is about hp from the alt. With his car he shouldn't be worrying about it at all if he's adding all the other crap to the car.

oh. those are just from typing too fast, and you were the only regulator on here so i just figured you edited it,

but for the original cause of this thread, thats what the first part of my post was, everything else was an add on to your first post.

alright before this turns into a flame fest between a few people. I would just like to say thank you two everybody who contributed to this thread. It did help and you did answer my question.

Thanks,

Andrew

Wait your worrying about horse power over max watts from your amp?

i was thinking that too......if your gonna have a SAZ3000D that most likely means you will have a bigger driver or a couple of bigger drivers. which would mean more weight anyways so u would lose some speed anyways.