Sign in to follow this  
dblover

Active

Well I got the deck I wanted. The alpine 9887. I wanna go active but wanna make sure it this will work

Need some pointers if not

Option 1

untitled-14.jpg

will be using 2 100.2 ( one amp for tweets and one for mid basses)

The tweets will be wired to 8ohm ( 2 wired in Series)

Midbasses will be wired to 2ohm ( 2 wired in Parallel)

Option 2

fad.jpg

Tweets will be wired to 4ohm ( wired to each channel)

Midbasses will be wired to 2ohm ( 2 wired in Parallel)

Option 2 has less of a chance of distorting your soundstage to the point of mush.

I agree with option two as well.

You should also spend quite a bit of time preparing your doors for those speakers. Just running active alone isn't enough to ensure better sound.

this is how my doors look

DSCN4158.jpg

I am not looking for sq. I just want to control my tweets and mids to make it sound nice

Haha, I am confused by all the lines in the first option. :P

It seems the only difference is that there are two pairs of tweeters in the first diagram but only one pair in the second. In that case, I'd definitely choose only one pair of tweeters. Not only are they generally quite a bit more efficient than the woofers in a component set, but it's easier to mess up the sound stage with extra tweeters placed in different locations than having two mids right next to each other, like you have in your door.

o okay. If I moved the second tweet up to the a pillar will it work to or not needed

So i should use a pillar tweet or tweet next to midbass

when using the 9887 should I switch the setting on the bottom on the head unit to 3 way?

Edited by bigt

Well I'll answer anyways. I would just use one tweeter, and where it goes is up to you. Before permanently attaching it to the door or A-pillar, stick some tape on the back and wire it up, then just stick the tweeter in each spot and listen to it. this way you can tell what positioning sounds best. In my experiences, having the tweeters in the A-pillars helps to elevate the sound stage, but it can often make the tweeters sound too bright. You may also run into problems with having the tweeter and woofer farther apart.

One pair of tweets ftw.

IMO for what you want, mounting them higher should work out better. The reason that I say should is that do expect when you first start listening that you active setup will sound worse than a passive. Through tuning and playing around though it can surely sound better. I would also expect with the tweeters in the pillars that a partially off axis aiming will sound better. Of course it depends on you and which tweeters you are using but I would play around for a couple of weeks with different aimings and then pick.

When you start playing with the phase on the mids, change them as a whole door. ;)

i played around with the mids. Dam they sound better but still need to tune them

I got custom a pillar tweets. I use sb acoustic tweets. Really nice tweets

DSCN4150.jpg

your ears are really the best tool for that. what kind of stuff do you hope to find out?

nm. It was about time correction but found out. Gonna hook the tweets up today and see how it sounds after tunning

After getting were I want it. I think I won't ever go back to passive crossovers. Man my speakers sound alot better and I love them now haha