Sign in to follow this  
bobonit

Need help deciding on mids and highs

I'm in the final stages of planning out the system for my 97 Maxima. So far, I have 4 Sundown E8 woofers and a SAX-100.4 amp ordered to cover the midbass. Not purchased, but planned, is a SAZ-3000D running 2 Fi Q15's sealed. I want to run 2 of the E8's in the rear deck where the stock speakers are now and the other 2 E8's in the stock speaker locations in the front doors. The E8's will be powered by the 100.4 in a 4 channel 4ohm config so I can fade as needed for staging.

That brings me to the topic of this post. I am left with trying to figure out what tweets and mids to go with. I was originally going install tweets in the stock locations which is at the top of the door near the dash, but they would be too far from the mids which I will probably have to make kicks for, so now I'm thinking I should put both the tweets and mids in the kicks.

I have been looking at Seas Prestige 27TFFNC/G for the Tweets but now that I'm thinking about installing them in some kick panels, I'm open to other suggestions, maybe the larger Morel soft domes?

As for the mids, I am undecided. I need something to fill in between the E8's and the Tweets. I'm thinking of running another 100.4 for the mids and tweets 2 channel active so they will have 100+ watts at their disposal.

And for the final question, what do guys do for some rear fill? I need to have something in the back other than bass so the kids can listen to their music in the morning or watch a DVD (Kenwood DDX812 in the plan). Do I just put the same tweets and mids that are installed up front and just fade them down to control staging? I could also put them on a SAX-50.4 2 channel active.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Until Jake comes out with some Sundown mid's and high's, I have a suggestion. I and a couple of people around the Wilmington area have been running Diamond audio's D6 series mid-range and tweeters. I have stuck anywhere between 50 to 200 watts per channel to them and they seem to just scream for more. Very little if any distortion can be heard and they come with some nice customized cross-overs. They are an aluminum tweeter and a very nice, smooth mid-woofer. RMS is 100 watts and 200 peak. They are a little pricey (between $250.00 and 400.00) but I have yet to see or hear about anyone blowing the woofer or the tweeter. A friend of mine whom I will keep his name private, has completely abused his pair and they are still kicking. I have two pairs of the over-sized 6 and a half's and one pair of the 6 and a half D3 coax for my rear fill and I love them.

I like Diamond components aswell.

I'm in the final stages of planning out the system for my 97 Maxima. So far, I have 4 Sundown E8 woofers and a SAX-100.4 amp ordered to cover the midbass. Not purchased, but planned, is a SAZ-3000D running 2 Fi Q15's sealed. I want to run 2 of the E8's in the rear deck where the stock speakers are now and the other 2 E8's in the stock speaker locations in the front doors. The E8's will be powered by the 100.4 in a 4 channel 4ohm config so I can fade as needed for staging.

That brings me to the topic of this post. I am left with trying to figure out what tweets and mids to go with. I was originally going install tweets in the stock locations which is at the top of the door near the dash, but they would be too far from the mids which I will probably have to make kicks for, so now I'm thinking I should put both the tweets and mids in the kicks.

I have been looking at Seas Prestige 27TFFNC/G for the Tweets but now that I'm thinking about installing them in some kick panels, I'm open to other suggestions, maybe the larger Morel soft domes?

As for the mids, I am undecided. I need something to fill in between the E8's and the Tweets. I'm thinking of running another 100.4 for the mids and tweets 2 channel active so they will have 100+ watts at their disposal.

And for the final question, what do guys do for some rear fill? I need to have something in the back other than bass so the kids can listen to their music in the morning or watch a DVD (Kenwood DDX812 in the plan). Do I just put the same tweets and mids that are installed up front and just fade them down to control staging? I could also put them on a SAX-50.4 2 channel active.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I'm a big fan of the full-size Morel textile domes :) As for midranges, if you can afford it, Scan Speak Revs and Hybrid L4's are some of my favorites.

Don't worry so much about distance of the tweets from the midranges, I've heard some very good vehicles where the tweets were on the pillars yet the midranges in the kick. It's not about distance, it's about how they're aimed.

I'm a big fan of the full-size Morel textile domes :) As for midranges, if you can afford it, Scan Speak Revs and Hybrid L4's are some of my favorites.

Don't worry so much about distance of the tweets from the midranges, I've heard some very good vehicles where the tweets were on the pillars yet the midranges in the kick. It's not about distance, it's about how they're aimed.

In regards to the aim, I just make sure the mids in the kicks and the tweets in the doors are pretty muched aimed at the same location?

Curious as to what you have for processing? A budget for the mids & tweets would help.

Curious as to what you have for processing? A budget for the mids & tweets would help.

The only thing I was planning on using was the built in crossovers in the Sundown amps and the 13 band eq in the Kenwood DDX812. As for budget, I have budgeted enough for a Sundown 100.4 for the front stage (not including the one I already bought for the E8's) and a 50.4 for rear fill. As for speakers, I do not really have a set budget, but I don't want to go crazy either. I'm intrigued by the Rainbow SLC 265.25 Kick NG 2 way set and also the Diamond Audio S600s. Also as previously posted, I'm not opposed to putting a DIY component set either.

If I go with one of the component sets from Diamond or Rainbow, I was going to not use the passive crossovers and set them up active with the Sundown amps crossovers.

Did all that make sense? I think I typed it right :ehh: