billystorms24

Need your opinion on a new sub

hey guys i built a sub box for my friend 3.5 cubes at 40 hz aero ported. we put a alpine type r 15 in it and we blew it in a day i was running 1100 watts rms into it i know its only rated for 750 rms . i was running that 15 in a 34 hz 3.5 cube box with no problem with the same amp. Why is that the cone seperated from the voice coil. is it cause of more air flow it over extended? so which sub should i go with an fi? sound splinter? aa? ssa? and he wants to spend at most 250 for a 15. Oh and by the way i never heard a type r 15 get so loud that box made it rediculous. thanks guys in advance

Billy

oh and by the way i know im gonna have to make him spend more hes not gonna get chit for 250 maybe used but give me some ideahs on a sub

only thing i see for under 250 is a fi ssd 15" for 199 + shipping cost which shouldnt be over 50 bucks

im sure it would with the copper coil and bp option added

Depending on enclosure.

3.5 cube box @ 34hz

He must get the BP option and flatwind with it. That works out to about 1200 watts power handling.

Depending on enclosure.

which, history points to bad things in this department. That box is what killed the Type R. If you have suspension parts coming apart, like you did, instead of voice coils cooking, it points to mechanical failure from overexcursion. You probably played a note that was too low and the sub unloaded in that box, which is fairly easy to do considering the high 40 hz tune.

So next time be more aware of the limits that the box places on the sub. Turn on a subsonic filter and/or tune lower.

Depending on enclosure.

which, history points to bad things in this department. That box is what killed the Type R. If you have suspension parts coming apart, like you did, instead of voice coils cooking, it points to mechanical failure from overexcursion. You probably played a note that was too low and the sub unloaded in that box, which is fairly easy to do considering the high 40 hz tune.

So next time be more aware of the limits that the box places on the sub. Turn on a subsonic filter if you're going to tune that high.

ok i'll do that..... So which sub do you recommend?

Digital Designs stuff usually likes to be tuned that high...sounds like sonic ass to me, but they do get peaky.

if that box wrecked your old sub why dont you just build a new one specifically for your new subwoofer

Edited by stuartgoodenough

LOL you ran more than 750 watts rms and your sub blew. who would have knew that would happen...40Hz is rediculously high for substage IMO unless you are competing. if he wants to really hit the highs, maybe he should consider midbass drivers. subwoofers are meant for lows.

If it was me, i would get an RE Audio 15" SX (1000W rms) or a Fi SSD 15 with BP option if you want to stay in the price range...

Digital Designs stuff usually likes to be tuned that high...sounds like sonic ass to me, but they do get peaky.

Great punk band name. :)

if you want to maintain the box tuned at 40hz, check Digital designs sub enclosures, all are tune at 40's. but your friend has to save to get something good. if not, change the box according to the next sub your friends going to buy.

Great punk band name. :)

haha