Sign in to follow this  
Smanleyman

need electrical upgrade...?

I just found an alternator on ebay, and im not sure how much of an upgrade it is, but it definitely is one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-...bayphotohosting

Most likely 165 is its max, with a lower idle. Im not even sure what my stock alternator is I want to say 85A, I have big 3 with 1/0 and with my 1500 watt amp with moderate gains I drop to 10v or so under heavy pounding, with severe dim. Is this alternator an adequate upgrade, or should I save up and hunt down a slightly better one... I dont think i can afford more than $200 however.

If I did get this do I need any other upgrades? My batt is stock btw, but with a good alt is a better one needed? By needed I mean worth the cash since I am virtually broke right now...

I do believe most stock honda alternators are between 55 and 85 amps depending on model.....so yes this alternator would help a good bit, but where your at it looks like your battery is easily half the problem. Upgrade your battery to a higher aH AGM cell battery and you will see a big difference. Alternator can only make it better!!!!!

based on pricing, and assuming I would only do one or the other for quite a while, would the battery or alternator be the best place to start? 165 alt... 200+ for battery for something decent, what is a good under hood battery? What is a good battery for both systems and under the hood? ... My local shop has a stinger sp1700 for 200 but I think it is too large for under the hood

thanks for the input so far

If you haven't already upgraded your stock battery, I would do that first.

x2.

If it dips below 10v, your battery isn't doing pretty well. Upgarde that and go from there. Maybe add an extra in the back after upgrading the front.

If I get a new battery and forget the alternator for now, should I get one to replace the one under my hood or just wire it up in the trunk and have my stock battery as well, or will that be detrimental to my alternator...?

I would put it in the back (stock battery will provide a bit of aid IF it is in good condition).

At what voltage does it sit with the engine off ? Don't measure right after you stopped the engine. Also, what's your voltage with the engine on ? Music off in both cases.

I have an adjustable voltage stinger capacitor, so right now its 12.5 or so off and about 15 car on, and its only at 15 so it doesnt drop even lower when it hits. You think my stock alt can handle my stock battery and then a kinetik or something similar? What kind of CCA and AH am I looking for to be enough for 1500 watts... Will the kinetik HC800 for $125 do the job or is $200 a good deal for a stinger sp1700? Sorry I have so many questions but if im shelling out the cash I want something that will be very worthwhile.

yea, if I was adding a battery to the back in addition to my stock is the condition for my questions...

If you haven't already upgraded your stock battery, I would do that first.

x2

How are you measuring voltage?