Sign in to follow this  
sick6ness

Throw a few subs at me!

Hey guys,

Recently I have been really unhappy with my subwoofer. After my install of the HAT I haven't been using my sub. I have it all the way down on 0 just because it sounds so sloppy. My amp pushes 400 watts at 2 ohms. Give me a few suggestions on a good sub to blend with my hybrids...

Edit: Oh and I'm gonna go sealed

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by sick6ness

What sub do you have, what box is it in, and where is the crossover set?

Its in my sig, it's a crappy jbl 12" in a bandpass box. Its crossed with my cdda 9887 crossovers at 63 hz with a 12db slope. I like the idea of a sound splinter... Maybe I can get a used sub from someone, that is known for good sq.

when will you end up buying it you think? timeframe?

perhaps a dCON by SSA. coming very very very soon.

I'm in no rush... Maybe after the holidays? It depends on what kind of deal I could get.... Isn't the dcon for spl? I really want a SQ something like the mag like mentioned above.

But tell me about the dCON

I'm in no rush... Maybe after the holidays? It depends on what kind of deal I could get.... Isn't the dcon for spl? I really want a SQ something like the mag like mentioned above.

But tell me about the dCON

haha, nope. It's more of a lower power sq woofer we're working on. the xCON is the high power. our lines will be as follows:

dCON (defCON)

iCON

xCON

price point on the dCON's are yet to be determined, we do know this though, they will be ALOT cheaper then the ICONs! We want to have an excellent mid-level woofer. Well it has to be an excellent woofer for us to put our brand name on :)

Its in my sig, it's a crappy jbl 12" in a bandpass box. Its crossed with my cdda 9887 crossovers at 63 hz with a 12db slope. I like the idea of a sound splinter... Maybe I can get a used sub from someone, that is known for good sq.

I have signatures turned off.

That bandpass box is probably 98% of your problem. Before spending the coin on the new sub, build a sealed box for the JBL. Even if you want to switch to a different sub after trying it out, you can still use the sealed box you build for the new sub.

yeah I realize that, but the driver itself is garbage anyway. Check it out JBL GTO1204BP

I will prob just sell the entire thing to a friend,

Edited by sick6ness

my LI sounded great off 400wrms and got pretty loud in my blazer. its in 2.25 @ 32hz though. i wouldnt doubt that it would still sound great sealed though.

my LI sounded great off 400wrms and got pretty loud in my blazer. its in 2.25 @ 32hz though. i wouldnt doubt that it would still sound great sealed though.

what sub is it?

Bandpass? If its a pre-fab, (which I am assuming) that would be your problem.

Bandpass? If its a pre-fab, (which I am assuming) that would be your problem.

Yeah I am completely aware of that fact.. The problem is the sub isn't made from quality components. From looking at the magnet alone, I can tell its garbage. I have a $500 set of front components.. no way I'm putting this sub in a sealed box. Its gonna be for sale.

What about the magnet makes it garbage? Is it because there's only one?

I am confused, which driver is in question at the moment in regards to the magnet?

I am confused, which driver is in question at the moment in regards to the magnet?

his JBL

I will take a picture of the "rear" of the woofer if you'd like ......I wouldn't even consider it a magnet

Edited by sick6ness