Sign in to follow this  
bobonit

How much Chopped Mat for Kick Pods

I'm going to attempt fiberglassing for the first time. I'm going to make some kick pods for 6.5" Midbass and Softdome Tweets. I've read just about every forum and "How To" I can find so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm in for, but the one thing I haven't been able to find is how much chopped mat do I need to buy. I'm going to order from US Composites and they have 3/4, 1 1/5 and 2 oz chopped mat. Which size is most commonly used and how many yards would be adequate? I'm sure I'll need some extra just incase I do some beginners f*ck ups :)

Thanks, Bob.

have you checked out fiberglassforums.com good fiberglassing forum. and i only add two-three layers of chopped mat on my kicks and so far i have not had no problems.DSCI0914.jpg

a single yard from the hardware store would be sufficient

Cool. I'll get a couple of yards just so I have some to play with. I'll probably want to practice a little on some scrap first.

ODSound, those look very nice. What kind of paint is that? Nice finish.

Cool. I'll get a couple of yards just so I have some to play with. I'll probably want to practice a little on some scrap first.

createx auto air pearl blue with three layers of smart clear coat.it was my first time spraying clear so it got a little messy at the bottom but its getting better.

coastairbrush.com has some good paint equipment.

createx auto air pearl blue with three layers of smart clear coat.it was my first time spraying clear so it got a little messy at the bottom but its getting better.

coastairbrush.com has some good paint equipment.

I still have 2 airbrushes that haven't seen the light of day in years, I'll have to get them down from the attic. A Badger and a Pasche, might have to get a compressor and brush up on my skills.

I like that blue pearl.