QuestionMan

another carpeting thread

I did search 'box carpet',and you'd be amazed (sarcasm) how much those two words are used on this forum. lol, i went through about 15 pages and found some good info on where to get it,but i still have one question.

A lot of people said they got their carpet from a hobby store,and i'm just curious what kind of carpet to look for when i get there. I could be wrong, but i don't see them having "sub enclosure carpet", so i really just need a name to call it...

If i can't find it at a hobby store, i guess partsexpress.com is the next choice ($5.85/yd... much better than crutchfield's $30 for 3yds.)

Skip the fabric store and try YourAutoTrim.com. Check into their Ozite Superflex unbacked carpet (http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html). It comes in a variety of colors, has a short nap to it kinda like a paint roller, and is VERY easy to work with.

I ordered two tones of carpet, bought a can of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and you can check out the results below. Hope that helps :)

DCP_0032-2.jpg

DCP_0033-2.jpg

i get mine from parts express all the time. i just bought more today, part number for black cabinet carpet is 260-768, there is also there automotive carpet, its thicker and doesnt come as wide as the cabinet. black automotive part number is 261-700

The speaker cabinet carpet (non-latex backed) like Partsexpress sells lets you hide the seams flawlessly. If regular automotive carpet is used, no matter who installs it, you will always see the seam because of the directionality of the carpet fibers, where as the speaker carpet has a random fiber that goes all over the place and can blend together.

Super 77 is OK, but if you want carpet that will not come up, regular DAP Weldwood liquid is best (unless you have a gun that sprays the industrial stuff). I use alot of this, roughly a gallon for a 8-10 cubic foot box, you need to be liberal. And it won't soak through the speaker carpet even applied this liberal. I use a paint roller. Put at least 2 coats whereever there is MDF endgrain, as it will soak up the first coat.

I have carpeted at least 100 boxes this way. I have seen some of mine from 15 years ago, to this day the carpet stays on strong and the seams don't show...

The speaker cabinet carpet (non-latex backed) like Partsexpress sells lets you hide the seams flawlessly. If regular automotive carpet is used, no matter who installs it, you will always see the seam because of the directionality of the carpet fibers, where as the speaker carpet has a random fiber that goes all over the place and can blend together.

Super 77 is OK, but if you want carpet that will not come up, regular DAP Weldwood liquid is best (unless you have a gun that sprays the industrial stuff). I use alot of this, roughly a gallon for a 8-10 cubic foot box, you need to be liberal. And it won't soak through the speaker carpet even applied this liberal. I use a paint roller. Put at least 2 coats whereever there is MDF endgrain, as it will soak up the first coat.

I have carpeted at least 100 boxes this way. I have seen some of mine from 15 years ago, to this day the carpet stays on strong and the seams don't show...

ive lost where i put the seams on a few fiberglass boxes with the cabinet carpet. that stuff is great