Sign in to follow this  
tezin87

What's the best way to go about this?

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me on this....

I have a 12'' Nightshade on the way and need some help with the enclosure. I currently have a 10'' Fi BL in 1.6 cubes tuned to 35 hz in my reg cab Ranger.

Picture002.jpg

I know it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it's the optimum size for the 12'' Nightshade and I'd like to re-use it. My first problem is the mounting depth.....I'm going to have to add some spacer rings to allow the Nightshade to fit depth wise and obviously I'm going to have to increase the cutout to allow a 12'' 12 spoke basket to fit. I wanted to ask you guys what would be the best way to go about this? Should I make a few circular spacers around the existing hole where my flush mount baffle is? Or should I just add a couple square baffless that are approximately 15''x15'' with the cutout in it? I'd like to keep the fab work to a minimum and possibly use this as a 10'' enclosure again one day. I'm trying to avoid building a whole new enclosure because the weather is so bad out now. Thanks.

I doubt you'll ever be able to use it as a 10" enclosure again unless you plan on using 3" of spacers.

If you want to reuse it you are going to have to take a saw and cut out a little bit bigger for the 12" then make a baffle to screw on top of that, make it as many layers as it takes to get the nightshade to fit.

damn, nightshade 12 in a single cab ranger! sounds like your passengers are going to be cramped up lol

damn, nightshade 12 in a single cab ranger! sounds like your passengers are going to be cramped up lol

Haha, yeah they will be. Well they're already pretty cramped with the 10'' BL so what's adding another 1.5'' to 2.25'' to the middle of the enclosure going to do to them, right?

beware of the sub's surround hitting the back of the seat when it's playing. don't forget to take that into account.

Yeah, I had a spring that made a point in the back of my driver seat in my single cab, and it killed the surround!

take the passenger seat out. who needs it? Bass > People

and it sounds like you are on the right track

several mounting rings/squares at 12" will work fine as long as they clear the seat, i doubt you'll be able to use it as a 10 box again unless you replace the 12" mounting rings as 10" rings

-Drew

beware of the sub's surround hitting the back of the seat when it's playing. don't forget to take that into account.

I will. I rarely ever have anyone in the truck with me so I just have the seat all the way forward and then leaned back all the way to hold the enclosure in place. I just found out today that my Friday class is cancelled so I'm thinking about making the trip home Thursday night and start working on it. That means I'll have the 2.5 hr drive back to school Friday afternoon to listen to it (it will be ran at 4 ohms off the JL 1000/1 until I get my alt and saz1500d in).

Doesn't the 1000/1 do 1kW rms at 4 ohms?