Sign in to follow this  
ric

Havoc 12" ported or 15" sealed?

which is better for overall sound and loudness?

this will be use BTW in a sedan... both will fit, but which would benefit more?

Thanks...

Edited by zitric

Going on what you said I would get a 12 sealed and if that wasn't enough output then try ported or different style of box. More then likely the 12 is going to lend yourself more options in enclosures just judging on the limited information.

ok, well these are the options that i only have due to box size limitations. if i buy the 15", i can only go for a sealed box. ported will be to big or will simply eat all of my trunk space.

but with a sealed 15, i can get all the low's and still play loud, but with a 12 i could have a faster sound for fast transients... so im really not sure on which would actually be better...

but with a sealed 15, i can get all the low's and still play loud, but with a 12 i could have a faster sound for fast transients... so im really not sure on which would actually be better...

false. smaller drivers play no "faster" than larger ones. IMO, it really depends on the kind of sound you want. The ported 12 may get a tad louder and the low stuff from 30-40 hz will be increased from the sealed 15. But the sealed 15 will have a more even frequency response and will be able to play louder from around 25 hz and down.

12 ported @ 30Hz FTW

thanks alot guys... this will be used for a bit loud but SQ setup...

I have one in 3CF sealed box and it sounds great.

12 won't get lows as the 15, but would be generally louder, and dont forget that porting means losing accuracy.

I'd go with sealed 15.

I have one in 3CF sealed box and it sounds great.

12 won't get lows as the 15, but would be generally louder, and dont forget that porting means losing accuracy.

I'd go with sealed 15.

Not necessarily true. I've had ported setups that were as accurate as sealed ones. It also depends on the music you are listening to. Most music doesn't go below 25hz so take that into consideration. I also don't agree that the 12'' can't go as low as the 15''.

I would personally go 12" ported. The way you stated things, I think you would rather have a 15" sealed.

Trevor from pound that sound has a video doing 144 on a 10 hz tone off four 10" icons and a jbl a300gti http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=m-_IVzQf6dc

Small subs can get low, it's all in the install.

Was going to put the link to his forum but not sure if the mods would disapprove.

Edited by brynm

Sign in to follow this