lil_italy773

2 batts?

just please ask your question here... it makes me feel odd to read another topic.

forklift says....the only safe way to run an older batt with a newer better one like that would be an isolator from a place like pepboys or an RV place. Problem is, isolators use big diodes so they drop the voltage by .7 across the system. So if your used to running at 14.4 now youll get 13.7. Most competitors and rv places get around this by doing a a modified alt that runs .7 volts higher, one with an external voltage regulator, or by using a dual output alt which gets pricey. You could do a 200 amp relay for around $80ish, but the newer battery will charge faster and might shut down the alt before both batteries are fully charged. The way around this is the buy two brand new same size, same type same everything batteries so that way theres less differences between them

xtreme says....all u need to to is charge the main batt on a charger, after about 2 hours it should have a resting voltage of 12.6-7v. then put it line with the other batt u can use a isolator if u want but not necessary if yer grounds are good. it will just give u a little more crankin reserve power with the 2 in series/parrallel.

forklift says....2 batteries in series/parallel? WTF? You cant just wire two different sized, type, and age batteries together, they "fight" each other

Edited by lil_italy773

your trying to get 12 volts out of 2 12 volt cells?

issolators are pointless unless you plan on playing with the car off

your trying to get 12 volts out of 2 12 volt cells?

issolators are pointless unless you plan on playing with the car off

yes im trying to just get the normal 12 volts. no the car wont be playing with out it being on. if the car is on it wont be extened amounts of time passably 10 min if that and not full tilt.

neg to neg pos to pos......... no issolator....

where are you gonna mount the second cell?

you can't wire 2 batteries in series/parallel. it's either series or parallel. Wiring in series sums the voltages, wiring in parallel sums the currents, which is what you want so you'll stay at 12 volts. wiring them in series will give you 24 volts and will fry most of the electricals in your car.

what is that forklift guy on crack he seems to have basic as basic knowledge can get and thats the extent i see. him sayin he has all this experience id be embarrassed to say he works for me! you sure can use older batts with newer ones just like that guy xtreme mentioned. you need to charge the older ones or one with a charger that will give it a full charge and place it inline with the other. that will keep the alt from getting a false reading from the batt saying im full no more juice please. only thing i do see that the xtreme guy said wrong is series/parrallel its series/series or dasiy chained.

^^^ That isn't the Alan Dante is it?

neg to neg pos to pos......... no issolator....

where are you gonna mount the second cell?

im going to put the batt behind the wheel well and the box. it will have a snug fit.

front cell+---fuse----------------fuse---rear cell+

then ground the back cell on the frame in the rear of the car... or do another run of 0 to the fron for the neg.

i sure am the one the only. wanted to do another forum besides termpro all the time, so i figuered what the hell ill give this forum a shot. didnt you read my noob introduction lol. NOOB is far out of my vocab LMFAO

i sure am the one the only. wanted to do another forum besides termpro all the time, so i figuered what the hell ill give this forum a shot. didnt you read my noob introduction lol. NOOB is far out of my vocab LMFAO

I understand that one. But welcome to the forum man, I have mad respect for you.

I understand that one. But welcome to the forum man, I have mad respect for you.

well thanks duran ill be posting stuff from termpro here aswell so you guys can see what im up to next.

front cell+---fuse----------------fuse---rear cell+

then ground the back cell on the frame in the rear of the car... or do another run of 0 to the fron for the neg.

awesome thats what i had in mind. thanks bigjon and alan dante, to any everyone else that helped. if anyone else what to give there views please share

what are you gonna be runnign in the wifes car?

People are dumb on that forum. haha

ALAN DANTE? crazy!