Sign in to follow this  
gldnbuddy

Ported or Bandpass

What would be the best enclosure for 2-12" IA Lethal Injections? What's the difference between ported and bandpass? I've seen the response curve of both. The bandpass seems to peak about 35hz and drop about 60hz peaks about 40hz and holds it. What is this telling me?

Will the manual for the subs tell me the preferred box dimensions for these.

Edited by buttmonkey

Band-passes have a narrower frequency band. If you want to listen to music just do ported.

An enclosure of 4ft^3@30-33Hz would be good.

Edited by Jason907

If you are asking the question, then you should go with a ported enclosure as there are more variables with the band pass and until you have some experience I wouldn't jump into that hurdle.

ported boxes are more efficient band pass are more for certain frequencies

Not true. Bandpass can be much more efficient, actually. If you're looking for a sub for music, ported is easier to integrate with the rest of the system. If all you care about is output and really don't care how it sounds, but you're limited on power, bandpass can work quite well.

As Sean mentioned above though, if you're short on know-how, bandpass isn't for you.

ported boxes are more efficient band pass are more for certain frequencies

not true the higher you go the more effiecent the box 4th order 6th order and 8th order bandpass but the designs are complicated and very large if you want to play music. if its for a daily design and you want loud id go ported. the boxs for bandpass should be very large if built correctly, so if you could fit a bandpass for 2-12's you could probably fit a ported for 2-15's.

I don't even know how to design a band-pass anyways...