Sign in to follow this  
the mange

lets talk about protect mode...

so as you may know according to my sig, as i wait for 1/0 gauge in the mail, my amp frequently goes into protect mode b/ my sh*tty "4 gauge" wire lacks the capacity to deliver consistent power. if the amp goes into protect too many times, is it toast? it seems to be sounding a little funny lately... like it lacks the output it once had......

4g should be more than enough to handle that amp. 4g should handle 1k-1.2kw 600w should be a problem. have you checked the voltage at the amp to make sure that is why its shutting down. have you checked all your connections, what is you sub wired to

4g should be more than enough to handle that amp. 4g should handle 1k-1.2kw 600w should be a problem. have you checked the voltage at the amp to make sure that is why its shutting down. have you checked all your connections, what is you sub wired to

wired @ 2 ohms (dual ones wired in series)

also, the pdxs from alpine can apparently do 600 rms at both 2 and 4 ohms. if it can do 600 at 4, is there any way to mod it to get a more realistic number at 2? i mean it just seems ridiculous that it cant do more at 2 than what it can at 4......

i just got a multimeter from my grandpa for christmas (nice) so i'll check my voltage across my weak sauce power wire

wired @ 2 ohms (dual ones wired in series)

also, the pdxs from alpine can apparently do 600 rms at both 2 and 4 ohms. if it can do 600 at 4, is there any way to mod it to get a more realistic number at 2? i mean it just seems ridiculous that it cant do more at 2 than what it can at 4......

i just got a multimeter from my grandpa for christmas (nice) so i'll check my voltage across my weak sauce power wire

It is designed to do rated power at 2 and 4 ohms for flexibility. just like the JL Slash 1000/1. 1000 watts between 1.5 and 4 ohms and 11.4 and 14.4 volts.

blown voice coil?

i dont think so.. i'll pull it out tomorrow and check i suppose, but im only putting out 600w into a 800 rms sub in a (near) perfect box. i dont think its clipping either, my hu's bass eq is at +4 for bass and the number next to my low pass is at 5 out of 6. if its a coil gone bad i will prob go insane

you shouldnt have to pull the sub out to check just check the speaker wire on the outside of box. i doubt it's the power wire causing the problem. does it have good ventilation, possibly overheating. if you are seeing low voltage at the amp check it again at the main battery. if there is a huge diffrece you might have a bad ground or something. if the are both low its not you power wire it's most likely a bad alt or battery, could also be a bad connection from the alt to battery or a ground up front. try cleaning all the connections with a wire brush.

bass plus 4???

that may be a problem... i allways run mine in the - you may be clipping that amp... sending you into protection....

and i have seen people send thair amp into protection sooo many time that indeed yes it one day will never come back.

bass plus 4???

that may be a problem... i allways run mine in the - you may be clipping that amp... sending you into protection....

and i have seen people send thair amp into protection sooo many time that indeed yes it one day will never come back.

I'm not sure what head unit he has, but my Alpine only has positive numbers. It goes from 0 to +15.

But yeah probably don't want to sent it into protect too many times. Do you know how much voltage is actually getting to the amp? if you only have one of those 600 watt amps, 4 gauge is fine. But you need to find out why it's going into protect. Since you have a DMM, measure the voltage getting to the amp when it's playing at full bore. If you're below 11 or so at the amp, it could be low voltage sending it into protect, and that does wear it out over time. I am starting to think that low voltage is what has caused two of my amps to blow over the last couple of years..... One of my sub amps started losing apparent output before it went, like yours is doing. I don't want to send you into a worry about it, though. You may also maybe just be getting used to the level of bass?