Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddy13440

12" sub in a 1.0 cu ft box sealed

Want to run SIX in my Tahoe, looking to maximize space. Two in each quarter panel, and two in a center console between the front seats.

Whatcha recommend?

And looking for an amp that will run @ .67ohms all day long, about 1500 watts RMS. If I run dual 4ohm coils (or single 2ohm), I'd need (2) amps to push them.

Edited by BigDaddy13440

but the right sub depends on your budget and goal for the system

Goal is LOW, accurate bass - I can't stand anything sloppy.

Pound, not boom, don't listen to a lot of rap/hip-hop, mostly alt rock/metal.

I want it to smack me in the back of the head, and cause heart palpitations.

Planning on running from 250-500 watts per sub (1 or 2 SAZ1500's (?), depending on VC load), so I don't need anything with 2000w rms ratings.

Why not go with a single or a pair of good subs, in a well built box ?

'cuz I currently have (2) 15" Celestions in the rear quarter panels, and (2) 10" Powerbass in the console.

Find me a good 15" subwoofer that I can fit in my current enclosures (2.4-2.5cu ft gross), either sealed or ported that will outperform the Celestions, and I won't have to modify them at all. The 10's just need more power, only running about 75 watts to each.

But if I'm going to change, why not go big?

I want MORE.

I can't imagine your current setup sounding very good at all. Remove the 10's, remove the 15's. Get two subs (of the same size). Build the recommended enclosure, and be happy.

I can't imagine your current setup sounding very good at all. Remove the 10's, remove the 15's. Get two subs (of the same size). Build the recommended enclosure, and be happy.

x2...

'cuz I currently have (2) 15" Celestions in the rear quarter panels, and (2) 10" Powerbass in the console.

Find me a good 15" subwoofer that I can fit in my current enclosures (2.4-2.5cu ft gross), either sealed or ported that will outperform the Celestions, and I won't have to modify them at all. The 10's just need more power, only running about 75 watts to each.

But if I'm going to change, why not go big?

I want MORE.

*pukes*

Perhaps rethinking everything and stating your goals would help. I too don't think quantity is your solution and will actual be harmful to your goals. There are better ways for sure, but you need to keep it simple as the setup you propose will fail like your current one.

*pukes*

Perhaps rethinking everything and stating your goals would help. I too don't think quantity is your solution and will actual be harmful to your goals. There are better ways for sure, but you need to keep it simple as the setup you propose will fail like your current one.

There's nothing wrong with my existing setup, it sounds damn good for what I've got into it. The 15's are crossed over from about 40hz down, the 10's are in a sealed enclosure and run as midbass up to about 130hz - I just wanted to anchor the front stage, and they do it very well. The 10's aren't meant to go low, but to be tight and accurate - if anything, I'll throw a 1000uf cap on them, acting as a 6db/octave hi-pass crossover (at 40hz, I believe?).

The way it's set up now, I have independent control over the 10's and the 15's via the sub preout on the deck and the sub control on the Kenwood EQ.

I do agree that using (2) 15" subs in the rear as opposed to the (4) 12's might be more prudent - I've been looking for 15's that will work in a 2+cu ft enclosure. Most likely I'll have to seal up my existing ports, as I haven't found much of anything that will work in that small of an enclosure.

As I said, I just want MORE. If that would mean dropping in a couple different 15's and running 2 SAZ1500's on them, and delegating my existing 500 watt mono amp to the 10's, I'm all for it. I just thought that (6) 12's in a Tahoe would be bad-ass, especially without having a huge enclosure in the cargo area.

you probably have never heard a well built stereo

youd most likely change your setup if you had. Trust the experienced.

Edited by blue fury

you probably have never heard a well built stereo

ummm... yeah..... I have....

as in, I used to work for a local shop about 15-18 years ago, we did numerous installs that placed well in the Northeast. Most were SQ, had a couple that went to the Nationals back in '95(?) - Tom Cole had a Ford Ranger Splash with a RF Power 10" under the dash and MB Quart comps, think he placed 4th in his class. Lots of fiberglass work on that one, and countless hours tuning the Alesis EQ's to balance the soundstage.

We did a few that were strictly SPL oriented - (8) 15" RF's in a Cherokee, (16) 10" RF's in a S-10 Blazer (the shop owner was a RF junkie). Brought in an American Bass 15" VFL Quad and ran a couple of RF amps strapped to it - hit 158.9 in a Chevy Corsica, not bad for ONE sub.

But it's been a long time since i had anything more than halfway decent in any of my vehicles.