Sign in to follow this  
toolskizm

New Audio in a 09 Chevrolet

I just got a 09 crew cab 1500 chevy silverado. I currently have quite a bit of equipment from my old builds, but none will really fit in the truck. It's all 6.5" speakers in the doors and tweets up front in the a-pillar. I'll probably be selling some of my stuff to pick up speakers that will fit. I have had nothing but good come from focal, so I was thinking of staying with them. I was thinking of going either with the Access or Polyglass lines. The K2's get a bit expensive and Utopia is out of the question. Also, what is your advice on running them from the HU (Alpine IVA-W200). I'm leaning towards it probably won't be worthwhile and likely get an amp...

I have a JL 450/4 that is like brand new...had it for about 2-3 months. It's a great amp, but really big and I would like to keep the most space I can in the truck, so I was considering one of the Alpine digital amps. Anyone have input on these amps? Also, any suggestions on speakers. I know focal is good and liked them in the past, but I'm open to any new suggestions along the same line of quality.

I'll most likely be selling the JL 450/4 along with some 130KP Focals and 690 CA1 Focals. Also have a mixed set of Focal 6.5" (the mids are from 165v2 i believe, tweeters are from the older Utopia, and the Crossover are from that same utopia set....the actual Utopia mids got messed up in a car accident). And I have a JL 450/4 that is damaged, not sure what's wrong with it, but it won't output sound.

Anyway, any input is appreciated!

What size are your current speakers? Maybe you could just build a wooden baffle to convert the 6.5" holes in the doors to whatever size your speakers are now so that you don't have to buy anything else (and provided you like what you have).

Getting an amp for the speakers is recommended. While they'll play all right off of the 22 watts that the head unit provides, you'll probably want high pass crossovers for them. Plus the extra loudness from the extra power of an amp doesn't hurt if you like to crank it.

take the jl apart.. .remove all the slide boreds, and put it back togather.... they allways do that when not in use for a while.

thats what i have found.

Thanks for the input guys. The sets I have now are 5.25", 6x9, and 6.5". I'd really just rather getting new sets and matching them as close as I can. Like access line, get component 6.5 and coax 6.5. And KU40, I agree with you on the amp deal...I was going to try and avoid all the wiring, but I think in the long run it will just save time instead of taking stuff apart twice when I do decide to put a amp, so I may as well do it from the get go.

dbjunior, my budget is around 150-250 for each pair. 200 is ideal. As for the sub, I really don't want to mess with that right now. In the near future, it's highly possible I'll decide to pick up an Fi. One of the lower end models. I had the Q's and did the big sub thing, but it's just too much of a hassle for me now. I just want a good sounding system, don't need to blow the doors off.

bigjon, I had actually started a thread somewhere on the forums about the JL. It was working, but one day just shut off along with my HU and everything and it smelt like burnt electronics. Not sure what happened, I just bought another one because I haven't had much luck with amp repair shops in the past...more of a hassle than anything. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Is anyone familiar with any good installers in the North Houston area? Anyone but CarToys...bad experience with them. I'm not finding many guides on taking this truck apart and depending on price, I'd almost rather pay someone else to do it.