j-man

Newbie checking in

Hello everyone :)

I read the forum topics and said all newbies have to post in here so here I am. :rockwoot:

I am on a mission to do a SQ type install in my Trans Am and have been following lots of links to this site and wanted to read more than the opening post :D I have an Eclipse 7200MKII head unit, this weekend I will be installing a set of Pioneer 720PRS components running active, just made a purchase for 2 FI Q12s D2 subs. My amp currently is a Memphis Belle 16st1300d 5 ch.

I will be asking some questions, mainly regarding the subs, box, and amp. So, please be patient if they are seemingly newbie idiot questions. :D

Jman

Welcome! No stupid questions, everyone is here to either learn or help!

Thanks for the welcomes guys :)

If it doesn't get me in trouble with mods, I will go ahead and ask my 1st ?

I am pretty sure I have neither the room or the amp for 2 of the Qs but I am getting 2 of em for $260 :D For years, all the 80's and 90's, I ran sealed boxes but back in early 2000 I ended up going to a 3.2cuft ported box with a 15 RE sub and loved it. Recently I have ran a couple of different Diamond Audio 12s ported with great results. Do you think I will be able to be satisfied with a sealed box for a single Q 12? I am not sure if I will have room for ported in my car. I kinda want my Ttop storage space back for the tops and for groceries or whatever. I want to build a box that sits up on the ledge above the gas tank. I would love to run both Qs but 1) I would need all new amps, the Belle is only 600w at 2ohm and not 1/2ohm stable and 2) there is no way to have room on that ledge for 2.

So..........I guess what I am asking is, how much total space would I need to port a single 12 Q for best performance? Or if I go sealed, will it be acceptable? I know this second question is subjective, but by way of example I recently built a small sealed box for my D6 DA sub and the difference from the ported was frankly rediculous! I mean some music I could tune it to sound ok but for most it was terrible (compared to the ported). Ok I will stop rambling now :D:D:D

Jman

Welcome to SSA. I would suggest starting a new topic in the section it pertains to, for your question. It will get more views that way. :)