Sign in to follow this  
mwoehr

Upgrading my setup

My car is a 2006 Corolla Type S. Right now my lights dim when I turn the bass up loud and my Icon 15 makes a funny smell (kinda like paint or burning rubber). I'm pretty sure it's due to my electrical setup and my weak ass Batcap 800 which I regret getting.

My system now: Stock 70 amp alternator (without big 3), Coaxle 5 1/4s in the doors and 6x9s in the rear deck (Both powered off my Alpine deck), Batcap 800, JBL GTO 1200.1 II amp (puts out 1100 watts at 2 ohms), SSA Icon 15 in 3.5 cubes tuned to 30 hz.

My new setup Idea: Stock 70 amp alternator (with big 3), ditch the Batcap 800 and get a Stinger solenoid and a Stinger SP1500D or SP1700, ditch the Coaxles in the doors and rear deck and get a good component system in the doors and power it off a Sundown SAX-125.2. Where the 6x9s were I'll just have 2 empty 6x9 holes in the rear deck that the bass will vent through, upgrade my box to a Pound That Sound Kerf Flared port box that's made to optimize my Icon 15.

You're heading in the right direction. I would DEFINITELY do the big3. Instead of ditching the Batcap800 for now, I would try and upgrade your primary battery. Look into maybe a Deka, Optima, Kintetic, or Powermaster. (dependent on budget) Everything else you mentioned is a step in the right direction.

A different battery may conceal the problem for a little while, but don't ignore the fact that your alternator is too tiny to really power your car and your system as well.

definitely go with your new idea

BIG 3 is upgrading your stock wiring

from alt to batt

batt to ground

alt to chassis???

A different battery may conceal the problem for a little while, but don't ignore the fact that your alternator is too tiny to really power your car and your system as well.

Are you sure my alternator is too small? I've seen people push alot more power than I got with just their stock alternators and extra batteries.

Are you sure my alternator is too small? I've seen people push alot more power than I got with just their stock alternators and extra batteries.

Doesn't really matter what other people are running. There are a lot of different variables to account for. Unless you found someone else with the same car as you pushing more power with more batteries and no dimming, a bigger alternator is the way to go.

If your alt can't keep your battery charged now, how on earth is it going to be able to charge the second one you buy?

Doesn't really matter what other people are running. There are a lot of different variables to account for. Unless you found someone else with the same car as you pushing more power with more batteries and no dimming, a bigger alternator is the way to go.

If your alt can't keep your battery charged now, how on earth is it going to be able to charge the second one you buy?

True, I am going to look into a bigger alternator and am going to replace my Batcap 800 with a good dry cell.

definitely go with your new idea

BIG 3 is upgrading your stock wiring

from alt to batt

batt to ground

alt to chassis???

from alt to batt

batt to ground

alt to chassis??? - i think this should be chassis to engine block or head...

where is the smell coming from? thats not good if your icon has a smell when you turn it up.

What smell?

Anyway, you did not mention what gauge power and ground wire you were running.

Is the smell kind of like rotten eggs? If so, that is a problem you need to address IMMEDIATELY.

That would be the coils of your subwoofer getting way too hot and exceeding their thermal limits, which has potential to cause permanent damage or even failure of the driver.

As far as the alt goes... Power cannot be made. 70 amps*14.4 volts (optimum, most likely not realistic) = 1008 watts. Power cannot just be made out of nowhere. You are most likely not able to draw enough power for your sub, and are running your amp into clipping and sending too much power to the sub, which causes the coil to heat up and smell horrible. :( Upgrade alternator, primary batt, and big 3 and then we'll be talking! Ditch the batcap. Just have a good primary batt and a good alternator and that will be all you need.

Give us a budget and we'll try to work things out for you... I'd say hold off on the new box and the new speakers and amp... Get your electrical a new batt and alt first with big 3, then go with new speakers and amp, then a new box.

Edited by nick_19

Tahe it from me, I'v been their!!!

H.O. alternator, Big three in 0 ga. and a run of 0 ga. to your amps

and a couple good batteries in the back, will make

a big diffrence in S.Q. and output.

as for as your sub gos, turn your gain down, your more than likely cliping

that amp.

He is only running 1000 watts to his sub... He doesn't need to spend the money on multiple batts IMO... I'd just say a new alt and a good batt up front will do just fine...

He is only running 1000 watts to his sub... He doesn't need to spend the money on multiple batts IMO... I'd just say a new alt and a good batt up front will do just fine...

True!!!!

I'm getting a bigger alternator sometime very soon. So you don't think I should get a Solenoid and a good sized dry cell in the trunk? What's a good battery to put up front in your opinion? An Optima Yellow Top?

I'm getting a bigger alternator sometime very soon. So you don't think I should get a Solenoid and a good sized dry cell in the trunk? What's a good battery to put up front in your opinion? An Optima Yellow Top?

Yellow tops have done good for me so far, but god they are so heavy.