rdwilson77

mids/highs static

Hello, I have a 100.4 running a set of infinity mids and highs and 2 kicker 8 midbass speakers in my doors. When I first installed it all, it sounded good. Now over the past few days, the speakers have been getting distorted and static sound in them. Now they are at the point that you cannot hardly even hear the music. I have replaced the rca cables, removed every speaker from the amp to see if there was a loose or grounded wire, and removed the head unit and checked every connection. No success... Cannot figure this one out... Maybe someone can help me fix this problem. :shrug:

Could be the H/U it self. RCA's going bad?

What kind of radio? Model?

What RCA's have you been using?

Well, I just switched the RCA's from the front output to the rear and same thing. Maybe not RCA outputs going out. Anyhow, the cd player is a Sony XAV-W1. I have used 2 different sets of stinger RCA's, some no name Wal mart type RCA's, and some audiobahn RCA's. All the same results.

Well I see the weakest link.... the Sony radio..... try another radio...

That will give you your answer. How's your ground?

I paid over $500 for that cd/dvd player. I can't just try another radio. Is there any way to fix the problem? I have used sony cd players for years and never had a problem.

I didn't mean buy one lol

Just use a friends and run the rca's from his/her truck to your amp.... quick/fast/ and help see what's wrong.

Sony for $500? Which one?

Oh ok. I googled it.

You never know though, if you have tested everything else then that's the last stop.

Honestly, I'm very frustrated. I have been working with this system install forever and it always seems like something. In over 16 years of car audio installs, I have never had so much trouble as I am having now. :Doh:

you might have a ground loop see if you cant get one of the cheap RCA ground loop isolators and see if that dosent help some

I understand your frustration..... wanna laugh?

I've only been ALIVE one year longer then you have been installing. :lol:

I'm not sure what the problem is. It's weird. The volume goes up to 34 on the cd player and I can put it on like 6 or 7 and you can't hear anything. When i turn it up to like 8,9,10 you can start hearing the music, but with a ton of distortion and static. When it was working fine last week, I could turn it up to 27 and it would scream. Now I am scared to even get that loud, dont want to destroy the speakers.

Check the speakers. Could be blown. Jsut a thought :shrug:

Edited by bassahaulic

I'm just going to take a minute and cool off, then go back out and check it out again. Never hurts to check through it again I guess. :drink40:

Play with your crossover on your High Pass amp. As your mids a breaking in the sound will change. Turn the cross over all the way up for a few days. you wont have much for mid bass but if it stays clean then you found it. Then turn it back slow in tell it starts sounding like S*%T then back it off a bit.

If that don't work take that H/U back and make them give you a new one. It kinda sounds like you got a bunk H/U it happends more than you think... I know lots of people that got DOA amps to so don't feel to bad.

Good luck man I think that you will need it.

:suicide-santa::suicide-santa:

Check the speakers. Could be blown. Jsut a thought :shrug:

get out the multi meter and check all the ohms at the amp and the speaker

Well apparently it has something to do with the cd player (great :bull: ). I hooked up a seperate input using a different source and presto, perfect sound. Why would both rca outs go bad like that? Never, ever had that happen before. Is there anything else it may be with the install of the cd player that could make static problem? Just trying to eliminate everything before having to get a new cd player. :faintthud:

Try a different ground location for your CD Player. Also may want to just disconnect the plug and rca's from the deck and reconnect. Does your sub sound okay? May want to check some settings on your deck to make sure something or someone didn't play around and mess things up. I have kids so I know... :wacky:

Good luck

The subs have sounded weak from day one. I have 2 nightshade 12's and they just do not sound very loud at all. Have not been able to figure that one out either. Guess it makes sense now if all the rca outs are no good. I will try the ground change at least.

The subs have sounded weak from day one. I have 2 nightshade 12's and they just do not sound very loud at all. Have not been able to figure that one out either. Guess it makes sense now if all the rca outs are no good. I will try the ground change at least.

Could explain alot!

Changing the ground did nothing. Guess I'm going to get a new head unit under warranty. Hopefully I can just get a new one and not wait for it to get repaired. Only used it for like an hour at most.