groundpound4200

SAX100.4 RCA outputs.... how do they work?

I am using a SAX100.4 to power my ID OEM mids and Focal tweeters. Channels 1 and 2 go to the tweets and 3 and 4 go to the mids. They are being crossed over in my Alpine CDA-9887. SO my question is what signal will be present at the 100.4's RCA outputs? Does the amp sum all the signals together so I will have a full range output there or does it just use the inputs from channels 1 and 2 or something? I want to run some rear fill in my Acura MDX and I was thinkin about picking up a SAX100.2 but I dont know how to get a full range signal to it because my deck only has 3 preouts. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

use y-spliters. you will halve your output voltage but will work. or use the outputs on the amp.

I would like to use the RCA outs on the 100.4 but I dont know whats going to come out of them because my RCA ins are already crossed over from the HU. I would rather not use Y splitters if I dont have to.

use y-spliters. you will halve your output voltage but will work. or use the outputs on the amp.

Y-splitters do not half pre-amp voltage.

I don't think it can output full-range. It will probably output only the rear of the front channel.

CH 1+2 go to those.

So, whatever you have CH 1+2 crossed over at, that is what you will see on the outputs? Just want to make sure for my own good :-)

CH 1+2 go to those.

So, whatever you have CH 1+2 crossed over at, that is what you will see on the outputs? Just want to make sure for my own good :-)

It just passes the signal through - no crossovers are applied.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if your crossing your front stage with your 9887, I think it calls for the tweets to be channels 3/4 and woofers to be 1/2. Just please double check before you turn anything on, cause you will blow your tweeters if its incorrect.

CH 1+2 go to those.

It just passes the signal through - no crossovers are applied.

Now thats some damn fine customer service. Way to go jake!

As has already been mentioned, i would like to clarify this.

Putting multiple devices onto a RCA output will not "halve" the voltage, or even divide it by the number of devices on the end of it.

As long as we have a lower input impedance across all of the devices than the output is rated at you will be fine.

For example, i run a Pioneer P88RSII head unit. This is the same unit effectively as the Premier P800PRS.

This has a rated output of 5.0v RMS @ 100 ohms.

As long as the connected devices to this are at less than this impedance TOTALLY then there will be negligable loss of the signal.

For example lets take a Rockford Fosgate Power 250.2 amplifier (circa 1997), as I cannot find specs for Zenon made amps anywhere (i am assuming 10kohm but as i dont know i am taking a spec i can find!)

The spec on this amp is 20,000 ohms input impedance.

In this circuit there will be a 0.04db drop in signal.

If you put 10 of these amplifiers all together, via y leads, you would have a 2,000 ohms imput impedance. This would give you a total signal drop of -0.42dB which is a drop, but still not a huge one.

The general rule of thumb is "keep input impedance 10 times stated output impedance and you will be fine"

This is also why in general use, a line driver is not needed on a modern amplifier - they already have high input impedances, and the decks already have low output impedances - basically if you disconnect your RCA's and turn your gains up and the amp is silent then its not an issue running off the deck as theres no noise on the amp gain circuit (preamp/op amps).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if your crossing your front stage with your 9887, I think it calls for the tweets to be channels 3/4 and woofers to be 1/2. Just please double check before you turn anything on, cause you will blow your tweeters if its incorrect.

I dont remember which RCA went where but I got it right. The right signal is going to the right speakers. I hooked up my mids to sort out which was which before I plugged in any tweets.