Sign in to follow this  
rumproast789

What is wrong with my subwoofer wiring?

I have it hooked up, well I took it out of the car. I tried it on 2 different amps, one I KNOW is working at 1 ohm (hifonics 1200d) and my sub woudln't play. The Hifonics would immediately go into protect mode when the music started to hit the bass. The DMM says .7 ohm, maybe something is messed up. Here is how I have it wired:

wiring.gif

(it was originally this)

1_2ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

But now come to think of it, I might have mixed it up, with the 1st postive and 2nd negative connecting to the positive output on the box. and then the 1st negative and 2nd positive connecting to the negative output on the box. I Don't know if thats what I did, but would either of the ways those were wired, do that to the amp?

I wouldn't think the first one would, would it?

Also, how would I take the sub out of my box? what is the best and easiest way to do it?

It is flush mount so it's pretty tight. What way do you guys do it...?

Edited by rumproast789

You might have the coils out of phase like you stated but how do know how it is hooked up if you don't know how to remove it from the enclosure? If the coils are out of phase the sub should not move much if tested with a battery.

Edited by Audibel Customs

You might have the coils out of phase like you stated but how do know how it is hooked up if you don't know how to remove it from the enclosure? If the coils are out of phase the sub should not move much if tested with a battery.

I got it out of the enclosure, I just wasn't sure because I couldn't get my hands around it or a screw driver to get it out, so I was just asking.

And IDK, the + and - might have been touching inside of the box after I tightened it, So I'm going to drill another hole and move it over.

Was your wiring backwards? Was the wire chaffed from rubbing on the basket? It should have read higher on the meter if the wire was contacting the sub.

Was your wiring backwards? Was the wire chaffed from rubbing on the basket? It should have read higher on the meter if the wire was contacting the sub.

what do you mean chaffed from rubbing on the basket?

its technically a dual 1.4 ohm (fi btl 18") so thats what it read.. I belive it's correct..

I missunderstood I thought you meant the wiring was stuck between the sub and the baffle.

I missunderstood I thought you meant the wiring was stuck between the sub and the baffle.

oh no no. It is connected to screws going through the back of hte box.

I meant as you dropped the sub in to the mounting hole a little slack was caught between the sub and the baffle.

bump, is the reason the amp went into protect because the negative and positive speaker wires might have been touching? or could it be that the sub is damaged?

Yeah they may have been touching. Take the sub out and double check your wiring. If you have the two coils out of phase the sub won't move. And if any of the wires is touching the basket of the sub it will send the amp into protect.