Sign in to follow this  
burton907

box size... bigger means deeper? :S

so i did a quick little search, but i am a bit slow and tired and i didn't find anything.

i haven't built a box before, nor helped anyone build one..

but i've pretty much decided for my first box to tune it at 32hz, and on the Fi section of the forums they recomend "1.8-2.5 cubic feet".. what does each mean, like how do i know what i prefer.

basically waht i'm asking is when the box is smaller, what does that mean? tighter bass? higher notes (roughly)? what.

and then it recommends 32hz, so i'm going with that.. but how do i tune it to 32hz? i don't understand how to tune it using the box. or is it a setting on the amp/sub.

if you couldn't tell i've never done this before, gotta start somewhere!

cubic feet is how big the box is.

you find it by length x height x depth.

usually the smaller the box the more power you can put to the woofer without it "unloading" so to speak. this is why steve meade can put 4000 RMS daily to his btls and not burn them everytime he plays them because his box is sooo small.

that and he isnt clipping them.

tuning is where algebra and formulas come in. i use calculators like RE's usually.

cubic feet is how big the box is.

you find it by length x height x depth.

usually the smaller the box the more power you can put to the woofer without it "unloading" so to speak. this is why steve meade can put 4000 RMS daily to his btls and not burn them everytime he plays them because his box is sooo small.

that and he isnt clipping them.

tuning is where algebra and formulas come in. i use calculators like RE's usually.

i knew waht cuft actually is haha. i just didn't know how i would know what i would like. what does the size do to the sound of the sub though? i now know that the smaller the box the more power it can handle.. typically.

my setup is a d2 12" fi Q, sundown SAZ 1000D. going for ported box, size doesn't matter, i just want what ever will have the most range. i'm tuning it to 32hz.

id do 2.5 cubes @ 32.

smaller seems to have a tighter punchier bass while larger boxes have a less punchy and tight bass with more of a rumble.

a smaller box usually means :

groupdelay goes down (a good thing)

efficiency go's down

powerhandling go's up (till the point that the box get so small the sub cant get rid of its heat sufficiantly)

less extension in the lows

You'll need a longer port

to get a tighter bass and hitting the highter notes well , you'll get that by tuning the box higher ,needless to say it will not play as deep as it would tuned lower , but it wil be louder.

getting it right the first time is really hard , make up your mind and start building ,

if you dont like the way it sounds post that and we'll come up with a sollution to your problems ,

and start building again .

hmm, well i know it wont be as variable as it would in a sealed box. but say i set it to 2.5 @ 32hz, will it still hit the lows pretty well, or is that gonna be fairly high? i listen to every thing except screamo, so i'm pretty wide ranged. and i'm not sure exactly what i like so i wonna start in the middle and decide if i wonna go higher or lower from there.