wof131s

Sealed or Ported

I have two Fi Q 15's and would like to know whether to go sealed or ported? I love tight bass and also love the sound of a ported enclosure. I have the space for the ported enclosre (6.2 cu.ft)and i also have the space for the sealed enclouse. I love both sealed and ported enclosures. But which encloser would be the best for good sound quality and will also get loud. Any input is welcome. thanks

I'd say build a ported and tune it lowish, like 28-30 hz. But is that 6.2 cubes before displacements? If so, you don't have enough room for ported.

Build a ported box that sounds almost as good as a sealed. Don't get me wrong it's hard to compare the two but you can come close. Just don't expect it to do any slick numbers on the TL.

The 6.2 cu.ft is after all displacment. So if i use a port that is 3" in height and 26" in width, what length would i need to make it to tune to around 28-30hz?

The 6.2 cu.ft is after all displacment. So if i use a port that is 3" in height and 26" in width, what length would i need to make it to tune to around 28-30hz?

How do you know what the displacement of the port is if you don't know how long it should be? :ehh:

That was my question too.

My bad guys, chit, was rushing had to get to class. The enclosure is 6.8 cu.ft before port displacement but includes woofer displacement. So what opions do i have for this enclosure, can i port it or do i have to go sealed? Any input is welcome, thanks guys.

Your going to be right at the minimum space requirements for a ported enclosure tuned to ~31-32Hz.

Dimensions would help.

I don't think your box is big enough for ported that low unless you can find some 6" aeroports that can be 24" long so that you can use two of them.

I was thinking on fiberglassing the front of the enclosure adding a bubble like effect adding extra air space to the net volume of th enclosure. Any opinions about this?

What is the external dimensions your working with and how do you want the sub's mounted , same for the port ?

What amp (s) , what ohm voicecoils on the sub's ?

Go free air. Then you won't have to worry about the box at all!

oh wait, april fool's is over.

Do the fiberglassing if you think you can and it'll help.

Would 1 Q 15 ported in a 3.5-4 cu.ft tune to 28-30 Hz enclosure hit the low better than 2 Q 15's sealed enclosure?

Depends on what you mean by lows. Please stop using buzz terms to describe what you are looking for, it won't lead to good advice.

3" port is WAY too small, WAY

What i was trying to find out is: will 1 Q 15 hit lows or produce a low frequency or will 2 Q 15's sealed hit lows better. Meaning good SQ and get loud while doing it? Do this help any? Am not looking for port dimension by the way.

You have a very contrary post.

Normally people who say the word "hit" aren't at all interested in lows by the classic definition as music that "hits" doesn't have lows.

On top of this, everyone who asks for "hit" is NOT interested in SQ as that is counterproductive.

To me it sounds like you want bass as loud as possible, but to not sound like shit. In this case the Q is not the driver for you.

Ok let me put it this way. If someone out there has heard 1 or a pair of 15 Q's in both a sealed and a port enclosure, which would you chose if u didnt favor one enclosure over the other.

Ok let me put it this way. If someone out there has heard 1 or a pair of 15 Q's in both a sealed and a port enclosure, which would you chose if u didnt favor one enclosure over the other.

Yes, but that won't help you either as there are VERY different subjective point of views on this forum.

What is it that YOU want?

I didnt get the answer that i was looking for as yet so ill ask these two questions:

1) Which would get louder, 1 Q 15 ported in a 4 cu.ft tune @ 28 Hz, or will 2 15's sealed?

2) What are the advantages and disadvantages of having either a port or a sealed enclosure? (Please explain)

Thanks for the input

Edited by wof131s

Typically, the people who want a sealed enclosure are seeking accurate, tight, flat line bass. It will not be as loud as a ported enclosure, but you will also not have as peaky of a response. People who go ported are usually are wanting output.

Now as far as the 2 vs 1. Are you going to run double the power if you run two woofers?

1100 watts for 1 Q 15 and 2200 watts for 2 Q 15's

I'm going to take a guess and say that the 2 will be louder. But it's just a guess.

I didnt get the answer that i was looking for as yet so ill ask these two questions:

It is because you didn't ask a good question or give any background.

i only have the one q15 but have played with it in ported-28hz and sealed, both enclosures at the large end of recomended size.

ported was louder and still sounded great,at 28 hz it hit all the lows in music and could realy shake stuff.

sealed had a smoother more even volume tone to it.

it was almost as loud as my ported enclosure on music but took more power to do so.

but it played much lower much lower.< too low for my likeing >

so low that i set my subsonic filter to almost the same way i do for ported .

otherwise it would play like a home theater sub.and on some songs it would rumble like sub audible notes

now i mostly use the ported enclosure for daily use.

space is not an issue for me so i run the ported enclosure for efficency.

same sound less power needed.

but i do swap back and forth as i build my system step by step.

so my opinion is that two sealed will be louder

if you have the amps and subs already , and have the alt + batt power to run all that then why not ?

if you don,t have the electrical to suport all that then i would go 1 sub ported about 28hz. < still verry loud >

and like said, the term "hit" is assosiated with upper bass not the sub 28hz range

either way you should be loud , good luck