lorenzo

box impediance rise

Welcome to the forum !

Box impedance is a function of the box and speaker. I'm not sure it can be calculated but it can be measured.

There was an old post in the Advanced Discussion forum about measuring the impedance of the system. I'll look for it.

you can measure it with a clamp meter. AC volts divided by AC amps. Port, tunning, and enclosure size can move it around. But its not somthing ive normally seen played with accept in our 100% SPL enclosures when we were tryin to control it higher or lower. What are you tryin to do??

I use a WT3 woofer tester from partsexpress for impedence curves. you can do it for the driver free air and with the drive in the box. Clamping for ac current my not be accurate, most ac clamp meters ive seen are only rated between 50-60hz

I use a WT3 woofer tester from partsexpress for impedence curves. you can do it for the driver free air and with the drive in the box. Clamping for ac current my not be accurate, most ac clamp meters ive seen are only rated between 50-60hz

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=2690

No need for very expensive equipment to test things :)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=2690

No need for very expensive equipment to test things :)

There is are cheaper ways, but usually everyone wants quick results. My WT3 can get impedence rise from 1hz to 20000hz in about 1 second, and it was only 100 bucks. Not to expensive considering how much other stereo equipment is. I may use the clamp meter/DMM method and check the accuracy out of the clamp meters freq range

you can measure it with a clamp meter. AC volts divided by AC amps. Port, tunning, and enclosure size can move it around. But its not somthing ive normally seen played with accept in our 100% SPL enclosures when we were tryin to control it higher or lower. What are you tryin to do??

Just wondering if it would play a role in an amplifiers stability at lower ohm loads

for burping a spl car yes. . . for a daily set up, i doubt it . The impedance changes alot.

I never thought that 5 second burp and an amp being stable would ever be in the same sentence.

I never thought that 5 second burp and an amp being stable would ever be in the same sentence.

How would it not be stable? Its working right?

How would it not be stable? Its working right?

I forgot that you really wouldnt run an amp at a ridiculiously low ohm load in a daily setup.

Can make a big difference in daily setup if you are trying to get the lowest impedance you can for maximum amplifier output.

I run my 40.1's at 0.5 ohms nominal for daily. With the subs in a larger box, the amps go into protect. In a smaller box, they do not. . .