Sign in to follow this  
Phil04

Larger Box/Lower Power vs Smaller Box/Higher Power (Disregarding Space

So, from what I have read and come to understand, a larger ported box reduces the power required for a given driver to reach its mechanical limits. My question, then, is if you have the space to build a larger box, within the acceptable range for a given driver, and are not concerned with space or weight, would there be any reason to choose a smaller box? Given the same linear travel, would supplying more power to one woofer increase control and/or speed of the speaker vs the other? Or, since less power is being supplied and therefore stored in the coil, would delay due to inductance be reduced? Any other factors?

Box size varies the way the speaker sounds as well, so you can't look at it purely from a power handling point of view. The power applied won't change the parameters of the sub or how it responds if you change the box size. For instance, a sub moving 20 mm in a 2 cube box with 1000 watts will behave similarly as a sub moving 20 mm in a 2.5 cube box on 800 watts. The sub is moving the same amount in either case but the sound won't change due to power. The difference in sound will be due to how the sub responds to the space behind it in the box and the "springiness" of the amount of air.

I don't think it's a bad question, maybe just more technical than some people have an answer for.

Not a bad question at all, I was wondering about that to some extent as well. I guess its one of those things where you would have to build the two different enclosures and try them with the same driver to really see how it reacts. And the results would probably be different with different drivers as well.

So then do changes in the size of ported boxes yield changes in frequency response similarly to sealed boxes? Other variables unlike sealed? Also, with a larger box I assume lower pressure within the box, and therefore at the port. However, port area is typically increased, which increases the acoustic force at the port. Do these differences cancel out?

In general, if you build a larger box, you're going to get a more profound low end in comparison to a smaller box. Have you ever used winISD? If you download it and get to know it you can see how different parameters and things change.

In general, if you build a larger box, you're going to get a more profound low end in comparison to a smaller box. Have you ever used winISD? If you download it and get to know it you can see how different parameters and things change.

I was going to suggest the same thing. With this program you can easily see the differences a box makes on the response. Just note that the responses shown in that program are with the enclosure in an infinitely large room, not a car, so what you get in the car will not be exactly the same. However, it will at least allow you to view enclosures compared to each other and give an idea.

I was going to suggest the same thing. With this program you can easily see the differences a box makes on the response. Just note that the responses shown in that program are with the enclosure in an infinitely large room, not a car, so what you get in the car will not be exactly the same. However, it will at least allow you to view enclosures compared to each other and give an idea.

Correct. winISD is a theoretical program. In a perfect world, the results generated in winISD would be real. However, you have to take into effect cabin gain, room gain, trunks, SUVs, walls, etc. It will give you a great idea though. Just make sure you look at the help tutorial before plugging things in.