phresh

Box to maximize ouput for 2 Fi Qs

The SQ of the Qs are great but I want to know want the size and specs of a box that would maximize the dbs on daily music. I would think that the max ported box specs at 32hz would do that but would a smaller box be louder?

And I know its "install dependent" but just want to see what others say.

Smaller would not be louder, but porting to a higher frequency would.

If you want to maximize a Q for loudness, you really, really shouldn't have bought the Q.

It was a long debate between that and the BL but I like the lows of the Q. What audible difference would tuning it to 34hz make beside being louder?

How much space do you have and what size Q's are they?

How much space do you have and what size Q's are they?

They are the 15s. Right now I have them in a 8cuft box.

I was going to suggest an ABC box, but that would be huge for two 15's.

you're not satisfied with 2 15" Q's in 8 cubes ported @ 32? maybe you should make sure the box is all good....that setup should have some nice output if done properly

Yea its actually PERFECT but I was just bored ans was just wondering if there was anything I could do like a different tuning. I just dont know what I higher tuning would sound like.

If your tuning at 32 and you want louder you probably should have gotten the bls. What music are you wanting to get loud on?

Edited by Bobaflob

I listen to rap. But he lows arent as good on the BLs so that why i went with the Qs and made the box big.

Edited by phresh

I listen to rap. But he lows arent as good on the BLs so that why i went with the Qs and made he box big.

Hard to find rap that plays below 30hz. Im running my bl in 8cuft tuned to 32hz and it dominates any rap I throw at it. I haven't heard a q so I can't make a comparison though.

I listen to rap. But he lows arent as good on the BLs so that why i went with the Qs and made he box big.

Hard to find rap that plays below 30hz. Im running my bl in 8cuft tuned to 32hz and it dominates any rap I throw at it. I haven't heard a q so I can't make a comparison though.

How are the lows?

How are the lows?

Tell me what you mean by lows in your own words.

Generically rap doesn't have lows.

It was a long debate between that and the BL but I like the lows of the Q. What audible difference would tuning it to 34hz make beside being louder?

Tuning at 34hz with Qs would defeat the purpose of the sub.

young jeezy has a hand full of sounds with 25 hz or so in them...

sub killers for me. but thats not that low .. but it is for rap.

i drove 2 15 inch bl's on a saz 3000d in 6.5 cubes after displacement.. at 33 hz... people say that bls dont take lows. but i fond most the people that say that either have never owned a BL or dont listen to rap.

young jeezy has a hand full of sounds with 25 hz or so in them...

sub killers for me. but thats not that low .. but it is for rap.

i drove 2 15 inch bl's on a saz 3000d in 6.5 cubes after displacement.. at 33 hz... people say that bls dont take lows. but i fond most the people that say that either have never owned a BL or dont listen to rap.

And those songs are rarities as you say, and I most definitely agree with your last statement. Buying the Q's to "hit" the lows is a joke. Anyone who uses the word hit isn't truly interested in lows and the BL's would do more than they need and do a better job of it than the Q.

I would say almost 30hz is low. From what yall are saying, when they were saying lows, they didnt mean rap lows & the lows in rap arent considered "lows". I got the Qs because they could play those lows thinking the lows are what i hear on a regular basis. I also got em cause theey could sell easily and I could get the BLs if I wasnt happy. Plus there are the new BLs now. Time to sell. How low does a BL get?

More than plenty for what you listen to. If you listened to classical music I'd shy away, but I don't think that is your goal.

I would say almost 30hz is low. From what yall are saying, when they were saying lows, they didnt mean rap lows & the lows in rap arent considered "lows". I got the Qs because they could play those lows thinking the lows are what i hear on a regular basis. I also got em cause theey could sell easily and I could get the BLs if I wasnt happy. Plus there are the new BLs now. Time to sell. How low does a BL get?

It's all box dependent. Build on the larger side and tune a tad lower.

Thanks ///M5 on the comments. I did some research on the Qs & Bls but got the whole "lows" concept miscontrued. I should have gone with the BL but thats life. Atleast when i get them I can compare them for others.

I have them in a 8cuft box at 32hz. If i swapped out the Qs for the BLs would it hit the lows better than in a smaller box? I would think the lows in a bigger box were better.

It's pretty much standard across the board, you build larger you get louder and lower. Increasing inside increases efficiency, but decreases power handling.

Thanks ///M5 on the comments. I did some research on the Qs & Bls but got the whole "lows" concept miscontrued. I should have gone with the BL but thats life. Atleast when i get them I can compare them for others.

I have them in a 8cuft box at 32hz. If i swapped out the Qs for the BLs would it hit the lows better than in a smaller box? I would think the lows in a bigger box were better.

Huge misconception nearly all the noobs on any car audio forum make. They think they want SQ because it has the word Quality in it. We all understand that you weren't looking for something that sounded like a turd or crappy otherwise you wouldn't have been on the website in the first place. Exactly why I always harp on people to not use terminology and instead describe what you want. Amazing how clear your goals can be if you don't describe them with Low, SPL, SQ and so on. At least all the Fi drivers have great used resale. :)

It's pretty much standard across the board, you build larger you get louder and lower. Increasing inside increases efficiency, but decreases power handling.

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking.

Note, I'd actually wager that a BTL would have more than enough of a smooth response that 85% of the people who ask BL or Q would really be happiest with the BTL and are looking for its output.

I can simplify it. If you want your bass loud, you do not want a sound quality driver. If you sat in my truck you'd wonder if I had subs and surely couldn't tell where it was located. It sounds 100% like all my music is coming from the front of my truck including the bass. Hell, I'd take it a step further. If you have a newish car and listen to your stock stereo and turn the bass knob up, you aren't an SQ buyer. Nearly all new cars have a huge bias on the bass to sound big and IMO it sounds like shit.

Here is one other clue. The gain on my sub amp is basically off. I have a 1000w amp sure, but I severely doubt that it ever actually plays more than 200w and that is when I am listening to music that I don't listen to. Sounds friggin' great though.

Don't underestimate your desire to get loud and your goals...