How do you guys carpet your boxes? I am going to be carpeting on saturday and was wondering what you guys think is the best/easiest way to do it.

I usually cover the 4 biggest sides w/ one piece and cut out the other 2 sides and slap them on there. Usually cut it with a razor running along the edge of the wood.

how o loathe carpeting

pain in the royal ass

I usually cover the 4 biggest sides w/ one piece and cut out the other 2 sides and slap them on there. Usually cut it with a razor running along the edge of the wood.

i think im either gonna do it this way or do the way where you fold it over in the midle and cut the extra so you are left with an X for the seam. It seems kind of difficult though. Are the seams obvious when you jus put 2 pieces on the sides?

if you rub the carpet then you can sorta hide the seem

i cover the big sides first, leaving enough hanging off the sides to cover the ends..first thing i do is cut on all corners straight back to the box, i then fold over one side, use a straightedge to guide me and cut it....i then do the other side. then i fold down the top, lay the sides over it, use the sides as my guide and cut the top...then i spray my glue and lay the carpet. buut cutting ahead of time, it fits better. it's a "V" seam and a local installer taught me. it works great.

i just hope i explained it okay....oh yeah, i almost never carpet the bottom..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I am lucky in that my job has provided me with a lot of experience with all types of carpeting. From repairs, to installations, I've gained quite a bit of knowledge. If you are just using regular enclosure carpet that stretches and has no backing, I suggest using a hot glue as an adhesive. It will create a ver strong bond with the wood and you will never have to worry about it coming off without some effort. Cover your large sides first while stretching taught. Make sure you have a friend helping. This will be your most incaluable tool. Start with the bottom back with about an inch overhang. Work your way from the bottom, towardthe front, on to the top, and over the back. Stop with a couple inches left to cover. Trim the small overhang flush with the back. You know, where you first layed the carpet on the bottom. Now, take the remaining couple inches and glue that. Run a small thin bead along the bottom of the backside of the enclosure and press firmly. It's of the utmost importance that this seam be on the very edge almost meeting the carpet on the bottom. Work your way from the middle towards each side glueing only a couple inches at a time. YOu don't want the glue to harden before you've attached the carpet. Once you have this done. Flipe the box over. Fro trimming, just take a SHARP utility knife blade, only the blade, and pull the carpet as you trim the excess off. The key here is to make the blade cut with not much pressure at all. You don't want it to "tear" the carpet, you want it to slice. Now, as you're doing this, make sure you keep the blade level and just skimming the carpet on the bottom. IF done correctly, you will actually be shaving a miniscule amount off the bottom carpet.

As for the sides, you can very well do folds, but it is easiest to just trim them flush and use one large piece to cover each side. Start at the bottom of the enlcosure and run a bead of glue just like you did on the large sides. ONce again, it is important to get it as close to the edge of the wood as possible. Make sure to not glob the glue on either. Now, working your way up stretch and clue. It's best to have overhang on each side and trim as I have noted above.

I have found this the best way to carpet. Now, If you are using carpet with a backing, it's a whole different ballgame as the capret had a "grain" or "weave" pattern that will determine how you lay the carpet. For an example of this, go into any room in your house that has carpeting and lay down a small square of paper, or better yet, a nice crisp dollar bill and take a pen and roll it on top of the paper or bill. You will find that this will move the object across the carpet in a certain direction. When you have carpet like this, you want all the sides to move the object in the same direction, otherwise it will stick out like a sore thumb.

MAny people will just use a spray glue or contact cement for their enclosures, but I have experienced best bonds and convenience in application with hot glue. That's what we use to bond carpet in the carpet industry.

Damn, that was long.

Maybe I should make some videos.

Damn, that was long.

Maybe I should make some videos.

:slayer::slayer::stupid:

That would be cool

" carpetin for da kar audio n00b"

Motherf*cking hot glue gun! I cant even tell you how many times I burned myself. It *did* turn out alright, but I it hurt so dam much. lol.

Thanks for the advice supa. Seriously, it works pretty well but the hot glue gun pwned me.

edit: did turn out fine. typo

I would've used the spray glue since its your first time.

You also have more work time with the spray glue

Worst thing that happened to me was i got some on my hand.

I just rubbed it off, no burns but it gets cold