Rapatari

A little HT/Thumper Project

Consists of a 12" Dayton Titanic mk III and a Dayton HPSA500 for power. Box will be around 3.5 cubes tuned to 25 Hz with 3 4" aero ports. Should sound pretty good hopefully. I will try to get some pics of the build but in the mean time, thoughts/input?

Actually now that I think about it, I want to do 4 3" aero ports. Sub front firing and ports front firing in the 4 corners around the sub. the only thing is I dont know how long they need to be to get the tuning I want... I used the psp-inc.com calculator and got this:

Volume of Box in Cubic Feet: 3.5

Tuning frequency: 25 Hz

Port diameter: 3"

Number of Ports: 4

Straight Length Port required: 32.64

Flare Length Port required: 33.64

How do I look at that and know what each port has to be?

Each port has to be the length that you already listed. 33"

*you don't need so much port area

**you aren't tuning low enough

Each port has to be the length that you already listed. 33"

*you don't need so much port area

**you aren't tuning low enough

Ok, only reason for that tuning is because I plan on feeding it music more so than movies. What would you suggest for a port configuration?

Thanks for the input.

You titled your thread HT, which is short for Home Theater, so perhaps you need to restate your goals. Curious on why you chose the Titanic as well.

Thats also why I threw Thumper in the title guess I should have just said music... I guess I chose the titanic because I wanted it to show up the same time the amp did and people have said good stuff about the driver so I went for it.

Considering you want to do both music and HT you could get a larger sub and keep it sealed.

If you're using flared ports, each one needs to be 33.64" long.

Ok, I understand that now. I wonder if I can get away with one 4" flared... vent mach on winisd is 0.11 and it should be even lower because of the flare correct? And I would only need a total length of 13.56.

Considering you want to do both music and HT you could get a larger sub and keep it sealed.

Ding ding ding

Give the man a cigar.

Hmmm, I would but I don't want to buy another sub... I mean I guess I will be doing more music out of it than anything but I just want to have a better low end all around because the little Aiwa powered sub I have now is garbage. So if I have to raise the tuning a little I will do so.... 27-30Hz maybe.

I'm confused, what equipment do you have/have already purchased? The whole kit? If you already have all the gear are you just asking how to tune it?

If you can sell and upgrade and have a budget maybe we can help you with something else.

I'm confused, what equipment do you have/have already purchased? The whole kit? If you already have all the gear are you just asking how to tune it?

If you can sell and upgrade and have a budget maybe we can help you with something else.

I have the sub and amp, and planning to build a box. I don't want to upgrade if at all possible, so I think I am just gonna try 3.25 cubes tuned to 25Hz and see if I like it... if not I will build another.

Which amp? It needs a serious subsonic if you tune that high otherwise movies are going to make that thing destructively unload.

If those are really your goals, buying a bigger sub selling yours and running sealed will give you a way better response.

A 12 isn't really "big enough" for HT in the first place, then putting it in a highly tuned box will kill it if you throw any power on it.

I wouldn't use that amp with that sub ported at 25Hz.

Only choices are to give up output and tune lower or go sealed.

The Dayton has an 18hz HPF, doesn't it? You could make a box with a cut-off around there, and the amp should be fine. I do agree with the other comments about needing at least two of these drivers for a HT.

JP