Sign in to follow this  
basshead08

btl question

Ive heard alot about the efficiency of the btl's and my question is would a btl be louder than a bl in the same box with the same power?

Louder in a similar alignment, not neccesarily the exact same box.....

What do you mean? Can you explain a little? You kinda lost me there.

What do you mean? Can you explain a little? You kinda lost me there.

He means what might be ideal for the BL might not be ideal for the BTL. So in other words the BL might do better in a 2ft^3 @ 32hz then the BTL would.

Different subs have different t/s parameters, so they do not all respond the same in the same enclosures. Read up on Q factor. Ever heard the phrase Butterworth alignment (Q=0.707)?

What he is saying that you want the drivers in the same alignment, not the same box for the comparison. For example, one may need 5 ft^3 to have a Q of .707, the other may only need 3 ft^3. In this case, using them in the same box may change which one turns out to be louder, even if you think you know which one it should be.

Another problem - Are you looking at peak SPL at a certain frequency, loud with music, heavy low end, ??? Even in the same alignment, they may not have the same frequency response. One may be louder on a SPL meter, while the other may sound louder to your ear due to the frequency response.

Brian

I have never heard of that but will definitely do some researching now. Learn something new everyday. lol. This just for groundpounding and being as loud as possible to the ear.

In that case, make a huge box and tune it around 40Hz....

i also have this question. i have a 12" BL in a 2.5 cu ft after displacement box tuned to 34 hz, i want to go to a 12" BTL in a 4.5 cu ft after displacement tuned from 32-35 hz (havent decided but probly just keep the 34 hz tuning)

and keep it on the same power as the bl. its a rockford 1500-1bd and what i want to know is will it be louder? the amp does 1870 at 1 ohm. im not pushing that much to the bl but i more than likely would for the BTL just cause it can take it.

would it be a noticable gain? or how big of a gain would it be, loudness wise?

the btl would more than likely be louder than the bl in that enclosure with that power.

and yes it would probably notice the difference.

Well after over a year of debating on my big system I think I have decided on 4 fully loaded btl's in a blowthrough on 8k to 9k daily for groundpounding. I graduate in 18 days and we'll be starting a new job making pretty good money to start buying equipment. How much alternator power do you guys think I should use for that kinda power. I want good idle power. Thanks for all the great answers guys can't wait to get this started.

Sign in to follow this