Sign in to follow this  
Blazinloud

Wiring my new MCR 200amp alt.

Hi all, need some help, planning on installing my 200amp alt today. I see the factory wiring in my 98 GMC jimmy has an 8 guage going from (i think) alternator all the way to the fuse box then back to the battery? correct? now i have a piece of 4 gauge from a previous install around 16" long. the big question is can i just run directly from the alt to the battery? and if so what do i do with the factory stuff going to the fuse box? just leave it? or will that blow the fuse in the fuse box and cause problems? or should i disconnect it and just let it dangle?

my battery is a 3 year old (weak) ac delco 680 c.a or c.c.a cant remember, and i did ground the battery to the frame with 1 guage already.

Yes you can run it straight from the alt to the battery, and just leave the stock wire hooked up also.

That's how I have mine. The big 3 is just adding wire.

Well i got it in, swear words n all haha. The serph belt is now VERY tight, damn near rubbing on the belt tensioner body.voltage dosent really stay at 14 on my guage.....but i probably just need a better battery.....or 2