Sign in to follow this  
Notorious97200

What kind of ports ?

I run a 15" SSA Icon in a 4 ft3 ported enclosure, but I just have a round PVC port.

I can see that most of the ported enclosures use beautiful "slot" ports (is it the good word ?). Those are more difficult to do, and you have to make it right the first time ! It's difficult to change them after.

I want to know why do people use those ports?

What are the advantages, comparing to simple and adjustable round ports?

Sorry to bother with all these questions, but I am here to learn, and to run my sub correctly.

BTW I love the sound of my sub with this enclosure, and I will try to tune it lower !!!

if you mean the flared or kerfed ports as some call them... Seen below

This one is a Pound That Sound box. He also has a sub-forum in here also. You may want to look into his work.

31291310191_large.jpg

It is to cut out port noise. The little huffing sound that you may sometimes get with regular ports. and lets be honest it looks sexy lol

Audibel Customs is also have quite a good deal right now for the same types of boxes, where its half off i believe. or free with purchase of subwoofers.

Edited by davidg121

This is what I was talking about : flared ports !

These flared ports tend to make the enclosure bigger, and seems way more difficult to build.

So, you think it is really worth the deal?

And, YES, these ports are sexy !!!!!!!

Well, audibel customs have done a buncha peoples boxes already, and all that ive seen are happy with them. I am buying my two 12" lethal injections, and a box with a flared port from him also :)

This is what I was talking about : flared ports !

These flared ports tend to make the enclosure bigger, and seems way more difficult to build.

So, you think it is really worth the deal?

And, YES, these ports are sexy !!!!!!!

For your application, a simple rectangular port or a round port is very good. No need for fancy flares.

Rectangular ports are used because it is sometimes hard to find pipe with the right surface. Also, a rectangular port will add a bit to the strength of the box and will also be itself strong. Far more easy to bend compared to a round port.

I'm keeping my round port, for sure!

Flared ports may be more fancy and sound better, but I don't want to add weight in my trunk.

More wood, so more weight :not good for me !!!

If you want to save space, ithe flared ports are not the best choices.

Thanks for your informations:)