Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone,

I am working on a design project for school and i need to know the size of the 1/0 gauge wire, the diameter with the insulation on the outside. or if someone knows where i can find this information that would be great. but the easiest way i thought of finding this info was to post it on here knowing that there are many people with 1/0 gauge wire in there car. so if a couple of you could get me the outside diameter of the wire and what brand the wire is that would be very helpfull.

The only table i found on the diameter was from the wire itself, i want it with the outter insulation casing.

Thank you all very much

That is solid wire, but I don't think it should matter that much. Would be kinda hard to get specific, since different companies put more wires in, then other companies.

thanks and yea i want the outside dia with the casing if its possible.

and i know it will be hard to be specific but i want as many different brands as i can get. that way i can try to design around the wire size. i just cant find it anywhere....

also if you could borrow somones caliper and measure it or get a measurment some other way for me that would be great!

Thanks

Don't be worried with the outer diameter. Be worried with strand count.

no i need to know the outside diameter. its for a design project that need to accommodate the 1/0 outside dia of the wire. i know what to look for in wire i just need the various different companies outside dia. i figured maybe some people would know.

thanks again

What is the project for? Tsunami has four levels of power wire and they are all different by fractions of a millimeter. Then there is Raptor that has four or five lines. Kicker also has two lines. The thickness can also very slightly batch to batch in the same line. Even on the same spool it can differ. I can use a caliper to measure some different ones tomorrow if you need precise measurements.

its for a school project (going to school for product design) where we have to come up with a product and prove that it works to our own specification and so on. im jst in the research stage and soon i will be getting on to concepts and working drawings. im just going to contact some companies on monday to find out there diameters and the tolerances, if they will be kind enough to tell me.

the idea i have is to some how make it easier to snake thicker gauged wire through the standard firewall. come up with some sort of holder for the wire and also have it strip the wire after you get it through. my specifications so far is that it mush be easy to use, accommodate 1/0 wire, fit through most cars fire wall, and strip the wire.

and yes if you could do that for me it would be great!

thanks for your help.

k the biggest ive found so far is 15.2 mm does anyone have any wire that is bigger than this?

thanks

I use 1/0 flex- a-prene and it is 15.5mm