Sign in to follow this  
zaxfire69

Wierd amp problem.

I have my 2 Saz-1500's strapped. I have 2 15" Fi BL subs. They have all the power options on them. Now when I set my gains with the DMM 77.5 volts - 5 volts for my headunit output i get the old smelly subs. Meaning when I turn the volume up i start to smell voice coil. So i turn the gain down a little bit and it seems like the subs aren't as loud as they were with my American Bass amp. So I turn the gain up just a little more and start to smell the voice coils again. It is almost like there is a magic area on the gain where I don't smell voice coil when turned up. I don't know it seems like the amps should be doing more than what they are doing. But when I turn it up to where I think they should be I smell voice coil. I know the best way to set gain is with an O scope, but when you are poor and no one in your area has an o scope it kinda sucks. I figured the voice coil smell is caused by clipping, but even when i don't smell the coils the output seems like it should be higher. I have had the subs for over a year now on the A B amp. Should I just set it at 72.5 volts and go with it or set it to where I don't smell voice coil anymore. Also why not put a mark on the amp an on the gain dial so folks can tell the setting of there gain knob? I have terrible eyes.

How strong is the smell ? A little bit of coil smell is not unusual at high power.

It is pretty strong. No smoke though. I took the subs out and looked at them and the coil wasn't discolored. I have a Powermaster 3100 in the trunk and a Powermaster 5100r up front. Running a 160 amp alternator. 1/0 from front to back. Big 3 done with 1/0.

I know it's a noobish question, but are your crossovers the same on the Sundown as they were on the AB? Having a lower LPF or higher subsonic filter may cut frequencies in the songs you're listening to and make it less loud.

Man i am noobish. I think it is just that this Sundown strapped is much more powerful than the Ab was. It is hard to find that perfect spot for the gain. It is either to much or not enough I went outside and turned the gain up a bit. Can't really crank on it cause I am in the hood. I have to run my remote gain knob in a minute. I will control output using that. I have a wall and it is sealed very well. No air movement from front to back. So i have to figure a way to run the wire. I sealed the whole wall up with Expandable foam. Let me go and try to run the cord. I will report later.

I got it straight. Put in the bass knob. It seems to be doing good now. Just need to get outta the neighborhood to get down on it. I will bring my video camera along when I do.

Sign in to follow this