eman88

Q 10 vs 12, and other questions, amp etc

I'm planning on putting a headunit and sub in my 96 accord sedan. I am looking to get a refurb Sundown SAE-1000D to power the sub for only ~$230.

Here are the stats:

1000 watts x1 @ 1 ohm

600 watts x1 @ 2 ohms

300 watts x1 @ 4 ohms

I should get a sub with dual 2ohm coils, so that when wired in parallel, they would be at 1ohm to the amp, correct?

I'm undecided between a 10" and 12" Q. Any suggestions?? I don't really know what the difference would be (stupid question maybe?)

I will be putting it in a ported box. I just moved from Pittsburgh to Houston for the summer, so I don't have any tools to make a box, otherwise I would have liked to do that. I will have a shop make a box and do the installation for me.

For reference:

My friend has an 12" Alpine Type R in a ported box powered by an Alpine mrd-m605 amp and I like the way that sounds.

My knowledge is low, but I have been looking around this website for a while trying to learn. This will be the first time I'm doing anything like this. All the work will be done by a shop since I don't have anything down here in Houston.

I also need to get a headunit, I just want a cd player that can also control my ipod. Hopefully under 200 for that.

Thanks!

getting the sae-1000D from Db-r? :)

you have the wiring correct, dual 2 in parallel to 1.

the 12" will more more air==> louder (correct me if im wrong)

there are three supurb box builders on this site. Quentin at Audible Customs is having a sale right now 1/2 off a custom box, that is a killer deal to jump on. its ending the 22nd i believe though.

i use crutchfield for a lot of stuff, that is where i bought my deck. i like it because of their "outfit my car" option. this will let you know for sure what fits your car, and they give you free install gear and instructions that are very easy to follow. another big store is sonicelectronics, a lot of people use them, so either or you can find what you like ;)

as for a shop doing the work... why let some stranger do work when you can easily do it yourself and know exactly what has been done to your car? even if you're new it doesnt take much to learn how to do this all. just ask around if you have any more questions, they will get answered. with the right tools and knowledge you can easily do all this yourself, no worries. just trying to save you a buck from installer fees.

hope that helps somewhat!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the amp from DB-r.

I figured I would have a shop do it because I couldn't build the box myself. I didn't know about those places I mentioned, I will look into those!

I know(think) i can install the headunit myself, it was the amp and sub wiring I am worried about, mainly the runs to my trunk. I'm also worried about setting the amp and headunit correctly so I don't blow the sub. Maybe I can find someone in the Houston area to help out?

as for setting up the amp correctly, there are guides on this site that you can read and then you shouldn't have any problems doing it yourself.

As for building a box, as long as you have a solid design, you should have no problem building it yourself and it should work fine. I built my first box not too long ago, having essentially no fabrication experience (I had driven nails and cut 2x4's, but not much more). I used my friend's table saw and made a box, that wasn't exactly pretty, but it worked great. . If you don't have access to a table saw, you can have home depot or lowes do all the cutting for you, and if the guy's nice he won't bother charging you for the cuts.

There are also box building tutorials you can look at for more help.

and if you are gonna do it yourself, i would recommend a couple of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=1852

woulda made things alot easier had I known about these before

Thanks for the info. I wish I had planned this all out so I could have built a box back in Pittsburgh where I have a table saw and all my other tools. That half off custom boxes deal would make a ported box for a 12" under 60bucks +shipping, seems like I can't beat that. Or a free enclosure if I buy a sub from him.. decisions....

get the sub and free box from him, that is such a killer deal... but gotta act fast!

i get my box design from him monday and i ordered my 1500 from db-r last week, very exciting! :jump:

what kind of wires are you using?

Edited by watts09

why the Q instead of the BL. If you like the type R, I'd bet you'd like the BL better than the Q. As for 10 or 12, that depends solely on how much space you have for your enclosure.

Also, crutchfield is a bit overpriced...and they dont carry Fi or SSA ;)

Why the Q is a good question. What do you want? SQ or SPL?

Use 4 awg. Fi is a great company, but I'd jump on Quentins deal and buy an Icon or two and get an amazing, beautiful for box free lol.

And tell us exactly what you want your Head unit to do. That might take some time and research btw.....

Also, crutchfield is a bit overpriced...and they dont carry Fi or SSA ;)

Why the Q is a good question. What do you want? SQ or SPL?

Use 4 awg. Fi is a great company, but I'd jump on Quentins deal and buy an Icon or two and get an amazing, beautiful for box free lol.

And tell us exactly what you want your Head unit to do. That might take some time and research btw.....

I ended up going with Quentin's deal and buying a 10" Icon. :)

I think I'm going to go with this head unit after looking around for a while.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P6000UB/Pi...0ub&tp=5684

I just want ipod control, and a cd player. No bluetooth, no whatever other crazy shit headunits do now :P

I've read that you can just use a regular ipod cable instead of the 30 dollar pioneer cable. Any knowledge about that? Maybe I should post in the correct forum?

Thanks again

Hard to beat that deal. Im sure youll be very happy with the setup.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott. I was pretty set on getting an FI sub until I saw that deal. Maybe in the future!

I'm planning on putting a headunit and sub in my 96 accord sedan. I am looking to get a refurb Sundown SAE-1000D to power the sub for only ~$230.

Here are the stats:

1000 watts x1 @ 1 ohm

600 watts x1 @ 2 ohms

300 watts x1 @ 4 ohms

I should get a sub with dual 2ohm coils, so that when wired in parallel, they would be at 1ohm to the amp, correct?

I'm undecided between a 10" and 12" Q. Any suggestions?? I don't really know what the difference would be (stupid question maybe?)

I will be putting it in a ported box. I just moved from Pittsburgh to Houston for the summer, so I don't have any tools to make a box, otherwise I would have liked to do that. I will have a shop make a box and do the installation for me.

For reference:

My friend has an 12" Alpine Type R in a ported box powered by an Alpine mrd-m605 amp and I like the way that sounds.

My knowledge is low, but I have been looking around this website for a while trying to learn. This will be the first time I'm doing anything like this. All the work will be done by a shop since I don't have anything down here in Houston.

I also need to get a headunit, I just want a cd player that can also control my ipod. Hopefully under 200 for that.

Thanks!

I don't know if you already bought that refurb amp but you can find BNIB (brand new in box) sae1200d on ebay for about $180-$220.. One ebay user is selling the sae-1200d's at a blowout pricing. I bought one about 2 weeks ago for about $220 shipped. I posted this in another thread as well.. Just letting you know as that is more power, new and cheaper..

Its a legit seller as the box I received was NEW and had jacob fuller's name on it from sundown audio.. Seller is 100% feedback. Only thing is you will have to bid on the amp and just take your time, the seller puts up several of those units per week. It can be bought for $220 or less as I stated. He had one as buy it now and one guy on ebay got one for about $180 NEW.. Have not seen any other buy it now options though..

Good luck again..

Damn. I wish I had seen that sooner. I spent 260 shipped for the refurb sae-1000d.

Oh well...