illiniguy

Need help choosing a 400-500 watt sub

Hi all,

I blew my old POS Kenwood after 3.5 years of beating the crap out of it, so its time for a new sub. My amp is a eD Nine.2 giving 400x1 @4 ohms or 200x2 @2 ohms.

I need help choosing a new woofer that will work for my set up. I will be building a new box so ported vs sealed does not matter. Price is up to $250 for the sub. I would like to focus on SQ, but would like a lil SPL. I listen to hip hip/rap music so I need some deep bass fill to keep me happy.

So far I am looking at the Image Dynamics IDQ, the Diamond Audio D3 and also the Sound Splinter RL-i. What are your thoughts on these subs? Are the others that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Edited by illiniguy

Hmm tough call. I have heard good things about the dcon.

Edited by juslivin

hands down , go with a Dcon , they can handle 400W no prob , and it hits the low tones enough to shake your guts , LOL

i have a single 10" Dcon in my trunk , and people think i am running 2 12's ,

not bad for a $200 sub , pure SQ , and still very loud , i hit 137DB sealed on dash , not bad for 400W , eh ?

go with a DCON , you wont be disapointed i promise

The Dcon, RL-i 10, IA LI, Fi SSD, etc. etc. Can you give us more info outside of the amplifier specs?

What info you need?

Car is a Scion tC and it will be going under the hatch. Set up is currently Eclipse CD-5000 deck, Stock front speakers (crossed over from HU), Elemental Designs Nine.2 amp, and the blown Kenwood sub. I am planning on building a new box based on whatever sub I choose. I just want a sub that will provide good SQ to fill the lows, as I listen to rap/hip hop. Obviously SPL isn't my focus or Id just get a new amp and sub combo, but I just do not want to spend that kind of cash. My price range for the sub is $200-$250 max. I may decide to upgrade the door speakers eventually, but I had been pretty happy with my previous (budget) set up. Since the woofer blew, I need to replace it and want to be sure I get the most bang with my current power.

The IA LI looks great, but is a 600 watt sub, how would it perform off my 400 watt amp?

The FI SSD is an 800 watt sub, so it would be severely underpowered.

Again Thanks for any help that you provide!

Edited by illiniguy

mach 5 ixl has great reviews with about that power aswell

nothing wrong with under powering it

Edited by lithium

What info you need?

Car is a Scion tC and it will be going under the hatch. Set up is currently Eclipse CD-5000 deck, Stock front speakers (crossed over from HU), Elemental Designs Nine.2 amp, and the blown Kenwood sub. I am planning on building a new box based on whatever sub I choose. I just want a sub that will provide good SQ to fill the lows, as I listen to rap/hip hop. Obviously SPL isn't my focus or Id just get a new amp and sub combo, but I just do not want to spend that kind of cash. My price range for the sub is $200-$250 max. I may decide to upgrade the door speakers eventually, but I had been pretty happy with my previous (budget) set up. Since the woofer blew, I need to replace it and want to be sure I get the most bang with my current power.

The IA LI looks great, but is a 600 watt sub, how would it perform off my 400 watt amp?

The FI SSD is an 800 watt sub, so it would be severely underpowered.

Again Thanks for any help that you provide!

The power rating is NOT a requirement. Just because something is rated at 600 watts RMS, doesn't mean it NEEDS that.

I have SI Mags that are rated at 950 and I've had great success running them off of as little as 250 in a small sealed enclosure.

There is no such thing as underpowering. ;)

OK, so are you suggesting that my eD Nine.2 will be able to properly power a IA LI? I really like the looks of this sub and read some great reviews online. I want to have it as my daily used sub.

Edited by illiniguy

Phoenix gold rsdc. Sounds very good and I hit a 146.3 with two 10's.

Another great suggestion, when I rebuild I would love to borrow one to play with for a while.

through an icon 12 ported in there i have done one in a tc sounds great and if you want louder you always have the options of upgrading the amp.. plus there low end is unreal if not a dcon will set it off nicely

All ready ordered the PG sub. With the $100 saved I also ordered a set of PG RSD5CS Components and a Phoenix Gold 75x2 amp to power them.

This should be a nice upgrade for $200!!

Now I have to get everything else to make this setup work (sound deadener, speaker wires, RCAs) and build the box and baffles for the components.

Edited by illiniguy

If you can, give us a little review in the review section after you get it all installed. :)

Sure. Are there any box building gurus on here willing to help me design the best box? I have woodworking skills, but have never designed and built a sub box before.

im in indianapolis! wooo. is anyone else on here from indy btw?

South Bend.

Fuck Indiana.