mbarber25

Noob status i know.

I was just bored in class and a couple things popped into my head that i want some opinion on...i'm a class A noob and i just bought a 15" BTL..anyways i plan on running the sub off a jl 250/1 for the time being until i have enough money to buy a rockford t2k..i know it'll be underpowered as hell but i don't see anything wrong with it lol (i know the gain can't be cranked up so it clips and all don't worry)..but the underpowered sub will still be better than my door speakers that i listen to now since my sub went bye bye haha don't ask.. anyways i'm tight on money being that i'm still a teenager and all .. but nevermind all that sry i just i know there are some expirienced people in these forums and i just need some opinion since my area lacks knowledgable people..another thing i was wondering was what size speaker wire should i use..would 8awg cut it? some other advice i was looking for was does anybody know where i can find a HO alt for an 03 maxima..i can't seem to find one anywhere..? any advice is good and i'd really appreciate any feedback and don't mind my noob rambling thanks again

marcus

12awg is fine for speaker wire..

Be very very very careful running that little amp to the sub. Yes you can blow it with it.

Currently I'm running 2 1,500 rated subs on 300, it's awesome.

Be very very very careful running that little amp to the sub. Yes you can blow it with it.

yea i'm a little nervous :/ whats the best way to set the gain?..the guy i talked to said he sets the gains by the voltage..but i don't have any voltage problems from a 250/1 so i'm thinking hes going to say crank the gain all the way up but then i know it will start clipping. isn't an ollioscope the best way?

Right now I am running 400 watts a side on sub that are rated for 600 watts and it SUCKS :lazy: it just wont pick up the lows like I would like.

haha yea i was running two kicker cvr's at one point off this amp and it was hitting pretty hard..cvr's are rated at shit too..it surprised me..jl is serious shit but too pricy when i want to run 2,000 watts lol

Right now I am running 400 watts a side on sub that are rated for 600 watts and it SUCKS :lazy: it just wont pick up the lows like I would like.

That is not because of the power you are using. It is mostly the fault of the enclosure.

How could he blow it thermally ?

I remember running an xxx off 2 bridged channels of a kx350.4. Played some time with the amp way past clipping point and never had problems.

yea i'm a little nervous :/ whats the best way to set the gain?..the guy i talked to said he sets the gains by the voltage..but i don't have any voltage problems from a 250/1 so i'm thinking hes going to say crank the gain all the way up but then i know it will start clipping. isn't an ollioscope the best way?

If I'm understanding you right, you have the voltage thing misconstrued. He doesn't mean set the gain by voltage of the vehicle (from the battery), like when it starts to dip your gain is right. He means measure the output voltage on the amplifier's speaker terminals, then use a formula to determine how much power it is putting out. That way you can tell when it's putting out 250 watts.

I'd be a lot more worried about blowing the amp due to overdriving it than the sub.

If I'm understanding you right, you have the voltage thing misconstrued. He doesn't mean set the gain by voltage of the vehicle (from the battery), like when it starts to dip your gain is right. He means measure the output voltage on the amplifier's speaker terminals, then use a formula to determine how much power it is putting out. That way you can tell when it's putting out 250 watts.

I'd be a lot more worried about blowing the amp due to overdriving it than the sub.

yea but what if my voltage doesn't drop all that much? all i'm kinda curious about is if this would be a safe way of setting the gain? i paid good money for this sub and if it fries up because my amp is set up wrong i'll go insane. but would it even break? what could go wrong if that gain is set to high? or am i missing the point here? i heard sending a clipped signal to the sub could seriously hurt the it? lol sry thanks though i appreciate it. any tips help this is just one big learning experience

yea but what if my voltage doesn't drop all that much? all i'm kinda curious about is if this would be a safe way of setting the gain? i paid good money for this sub and if it fries up because my amp is set up wrong i'll go insane. but would it even break? what could go wrong if that gain is set to high? or am i missing the point here? i heard sending a clipped signal to the sub could seriously hurt the it? lol sry thanks though i appreciate it. any tips help this is just one big learning experience

Your not getting what hes saying at all. lol.

Here's a good read for you. If you have anymore questions ill be surprised.

And you need to get your hands on a Digital Multimeter (DMM)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=3704

The voltage of the vehicle has NOTHING to do with the amplifier gain. They have nothing to do with each other, so it is not only impossible but makes zero sense to set the amplifier gain correctly using it.

The voltage you measure is from the outputs of the amplifier. As in the things you hook the speaker up to. If you'd like to read how this works, there have been various threads on that topic already. Use the search feature to find them.

You'll have to wire the voice coils of your sub in series on the JL.