CBFryman

Port AIming

I know that ports are most efficent when they are facing on the same plane as the driver, and that you loose any gains form the port if it fires 180 degrees from the driver. but, how much SPL will be lost by aiming the por just under 90 degrees from the driver?

In a (hopefully) up comming enclosure construction for an XXX18 in a Mazda B3000 ext cab putting the port on the same plane as the driver will be very hard, so i am thinking of having hte port firing up and the woofer on a slanf facing forward.... how will this compare tothe woofer and the port being on the same plane?

im not concerned with not being loud, i am concerned with not beating a friends 4 JL w1v2's with a 500/1.... :finger::faintthud:

He says he has the loudest daily substage someone can have for under $1500....we will see about that

:idiot:

it's not...the same plane theory involves sq....by having the sub and port on the same plane, the port is 180* out of phase so that when the rear wave bounces off the back of the enclosure and heads outa the port, then that wave and the current wave coming off the cone should be inphase, in theory.IIRC

some of the loudest boxes made (crx style) have the subs facing up with the port facing back...heck, my sub faces forward with the ports facing up..

u honestly will not be able to hear whether or not the port is on the same plane or not..too me it's a mute point. maybe in the perfect box it's an issue, but for an everyday daily driver, it just doesn't matter.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks, you guys are friggen awsome...well...now i just have to fix the crap on my truck before i get my SX18, yes i switched to the SX because of money and parents "why the hell do you need a $500 speaker"

oh well, for rock and rap (what i listen to) the SQ differnece should be slim to non, since the SX will never be pushed very far in the gap when listening to rock because i dont like pounding kick drums drowning out the rest of the music, but i do like a good bass guitar line, however....