Sign in to follow this  
papermaker

wierd problem with my 100x4

i took a 20 hour trip friday/sat and about 3 hours in the amp started cutting out on channel 3 ONLY but i noticed the other channels sounded a bit distorted as well... i get to ohio(from louisiana) and trouble shoot it, checked everything, opened the board up NOTHING visual.. put it vack in and played it for about 30 min and it still occures.. so i go to lower the gains a bit just enought to keep it from getting hot and cutting out/sounding bad.. i touch the gain(pot) and it completely shorts channel 3 out. i mean completely cuts off when i touch the pot to the chassie of hte amp... figuring its got a short somewhere between hte gain and the output i ground the amp frame itself and i get a good signal back!!! WTF?? it sems as the pots are also very inaccurate.. as in i have to turn hte subsonic 7/8 up to get a decent xover point it seem to be only on he subsonic though, nothing else is over sensivitive... i freaking hate to send it back to texas to get it fixed...

did u have the amp mounted to the box?

i really can send it back to DB-r to fix it(got it throught him as a referb), is there some way i can get a new board for them amp and just replace the guts? if not ill probably buy a 450/4 and sell the sundown when i get it fixed... which i hate to do because its a freaking nice amp vesides those few details... unless someone can help me trouble shooot the board... something tells me the output are going bad because its staring to sound abit fuzzy, and the amp just does sound as good/loud.. SUCKS BALLS... help..

no sir, i don't even have my woofers in yet, John @ AV is sending it out very soon thought, so i want to have my highs.. its under the seat, no possible way to short it out or anything to touch it... been installing stuff for 10 years...

well, only 10yrs, definitely your fault now, :)

You know what i'm gonna say...

Gotta get ahold of Jacob, see if he can shed some light before making your shipping decisions.

if I did i would pay for it, no doubt. but something like this tends to be ethier from bac connection and or resistor not sure on the circurity on the amp but it seems as the power supply has a small short in it noticablly in hte 3rd channel.. i haven't does enought electronics to beable to identify the problem without a schematic and help without any experence.. for now im going to ground the amps chassie so it does kill my highs, but i really want to fix it, and IMO a new board is probably the best option..

Edited by papermaker

Make sure the bottom is not being pressed up even slightly that what mine had a problem with as well. Noise was emitting from channel 3.

noted, i rewired it and put the tweets to 3 4 and so far so good.. fact is though it shouldn't completly kill 3 if the pot touches the chassie..

It's most likely a knob on the crossover board - probably the gain pot on CH 3 since touching it causes a problem.

im going to look at it again.. see whats up... like i sai it got hot on the drive and would cut out go cool again and worked fine.. what you recommend??

i rode around for about 1hr today, seems it migh hold up.. should i just send it to chris when i return home? if i could make 2 suggestions.. pots that click, for more accurate x over selections, and the bottom cover extended to avoid the problem dr johnson had. other than that awesome amps..

Sign in to follow this