Sign in to follow this  
dennisp

comp speakers crackling

i have the logitech z560's (4.1 system)

whenever i turn the volume knob (up or down) quickly there's a really loud crackling in the left front speaker, deafeningly loud. i have to turn the volume really slowly to try to avoid it. any clue whats wrong?

i was using these speakers with my old desktop, and now my laptop and it happens on both.

Sounds like a damaged potentiometer (volume knob itself). I'm not 100% on how they work, but Radio Shack will usually have generic ones you can wire in it's place. Apart from that, Best Buy has a repair center...

I have the same problem....I own the same exact speakers as well. I just leave them set at one volume and use a separate volume control built into my keyboard.

Effendi: Finally common ground. I have headphones plugged directly into my sound card and physical volume knob between. =p

ahh sweet. totally forgot about this thread. thanx for the suggestion. i just bypass the whole problem by turning the speakers off, changing the volume, and then turning em back on.

sometimes when i just leave the speakers on but have nothing playing, theyll start making staticky noises like some aliens are trying to contact me. :P