Sign in to follow this  
jcarter1885

starting battery upgrade and want opinions

if you are going off the fuse rating off the amps you will never be drawing that much and you do not be using the full 105 amps from your stock alternator to power your accessories ... you should be fine with just a single 250 amp alternator ... no need for a second battery as you do not play music with your car off ... just buy an optima yellow top as they are deep cycle batteries

i talked to mechman yesterday and they say that they dont make a high outout alternator for my car because its to tight of a fit for the regular alternator so making a bigger or custom one really isnt possible. so im just gonna run with a xs power d2400 and d3100

its not going to do anything for you without a decent charging system .... think about it, if your stock alternator cannot charge a single battery how is it going to charge multiple .... you should talk to nate at excess amperage ... my lincoln also has a tight fit and he made me a custom direct bolt on 300a that is about the same size and it was only like $500

you should upgrade your big 3 before you buy a second battery and see where you are at as far as voltage drops go ... then if needed look into a new alternator .... a second battery is only useful if your car is off

i talked to mechman and he said making a alternator thats high output the same size as the stock one will eventually fail on me, im sorry but i take his word for it. why would he tell me not to get one or he wont even make me one if it wont help, im pretty sure he wouldnt turn my money down. i am going to get a xs power d2400(primary-stock) and d3100(secondary) and by a charger so i can charge them every few days or so; enabling me to help my charging system. I asked mechman would this be ok and he said yeah, we talked for almost 30 minutes trust me i went every route and found the advantages and disadvantages of having a high output alternator. If I felt like I really need one beside what he said to me I would pay $500 for a ho alternator but i feel safe after my conversation yesterday.

you do need a alt but not at the moment you can run a bat bank off the stock alt but there harder to charge.

here is the set up i was talking about you would run two batts in the trunk and a alt on the engine and wire this in between them or you could just do two batts you would be better off with the bigger alt for the extra power along with the big three etc... this is for the long run maybe expensive now but you thank your self later for doing so either over time or right away. you run alternator to isolator to battery bank then from bank to amp you could throw in a ac power hook up too. this is if you compete for in the judging lane's cause some time you can run the engine.

battery isolator to be wired between alt and bat bank.

http://motorcityreman.com/2-240.html

btw cascade audio carries the ac hook ups threw there different reps if you need me to find one i will hook you up.

btw with the isolator it will not charge fast so be careful on test and tunes be fore comps also prevent a major drain from the electrical system the isolator does so you can use your stock batt up front for starting and isolate it from the batt bank this is why i suggest a isolator

Edited by sadistic_customs