Sign in to follow this  
T0mmysee

Setting Crossover points on an HU.

I plan on buying an active compatible HU, but was wondering how setting crossover points on an HU works? If I am using external amplifiers, with crossover settings, do the settings on the HU ignore those, and just use the settings programed in the HU? Or would I have to set crossover settings on the amp which are equal to those on the HU? Specifically I will be running a US Amps AX-5600. Help is much appreciated. This will be my first active setup.

You'd want to just use one or the other. Most amplifiers have a flat crossover option, meaning neither the highpass or lowpass are being used. So you can just turn the crossovers off on the amps and use the head unit. Although on the mids, you'll want to bandpass them, so you'll likely have to use one crossover from each the amp and head unit. But that's fine because it won't be the same type of crossover (highpass and lowpass instead of both highpass, for instance).

I have a pioneer 800 PRS and I let the HU do everything I only set subsonic for the sub otherwise the deck dose it all. I try to keep it simple and process the sound once at the deck and thats it, not go and change it again at the amp

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

the best cd player i have found thus far is the jvc kd-hdr59 sold at crutchfield for 179.99 the only difference between the 50 and the 59 is higher output pre's on the 59 of 5.0 v and a 2 year warranty on the 59. the thing that i like about the 50 series i got is the eq it has a 7 band eq to get you set up and quick. and a lp x over for the sub the eq will work on the front channel only. wile the lp will work on the sub. i think you need separate rca for the tweets the mids and the bass i think you could x-over at the right frequency and just use a "y" adapter for the other two channels so one set be comes four rca's this way you can run the correct amount of amps for the active set up. this head unit also can be set flat so you can add a eq on after words.

I plan on buying an active compatible HU, but was wondering how setting crossover points on an HU works? If I am using external amplifiers, with crossover settings, do the settings on the HU ignore those, and just use the settings programed in the HU? Or would I have to set crossover settings on the amp which are equal to those on the HU? Specifically I will be running a US Amps AX-5600. Help is much appreciated. This will be my first active setup.

you want to set the x over point's higher then what the amp's is to be set at. if the x over is set wrong like the sound will be muddy if it's too narrow. this way they receive the full signal of what it need.

btw that not a low end jvc.

You'd want to just use one or the other. Most amplifiers have a flat crossover option, meaning neither the highpass or lowpass are being used. So you can just turn the crossovers off on the amps and use the head unit. Although on the mids, you'll want to bandpass them, so you'll likely have to use one crossover from each the amp and head unit. But that's fine because it won't be the same type of crossover (highpass and lowpass instead of both highpass, for instance).

So setting it using both the HU and amp in a bandpass, sets the crossover inbetween the area of the high pass and low pass point?

yes if you have your low pass at 500hz and your high pass at 75hz it will only play 75-500 (well it will still play out of the range just cut way down by the crossover)

I was told to set my hpf on my 4 channel amp to 200 hz and not 80-100 because midbass kills speakers. Is this true or no?

So setting it using both the HU and amp in a bandpass, sets the crossover inbetween the area of the high pass and low pass point?

yes if you have your low pass at 500hz and your high pass at 75hz it will only play 75-500 (well it will still play out of the range just cut way down by the crossover)
I was told to set my hpf on my 4 channel amp to 200 hz and not 80-100 because midbass kills speakers. Is this true or no?

quote 1] example: if you could set them at 100hz high pass and 100hz low pass for the hu then x over the amps were they are needed like 160 high pass amps then 80 hertz low pass amps . i think they would sound good

quote #2

the Grey area in the 75hz high pass and 500 hz low pass will cut all the area out And make it sound crappy at least it did on my alpine. and a lot of other head unit i have had

quote #3

bass does kill speakers. but this depends on if your speaker like it or not some thing like a mli 6.5 from march five audio will like bass, but a cheap pioneer coax will not.

for quote #1 i do not suggest the radio i suggested but i do suggest you get a eq sooner or later this way you can cut back on the frequency's you do not like in other words your speakers do not like. because 20K may seem a tad harsh were also the bass may need some deadening at the low end so it does not harm you mid's /highs.

Edited by sadistic_customs

maybe with cheap 3" speakers, but not 6.5s. They should be able to play down to at least 80 hz if they're decent at all.