First question: What is a "float charge"? I've heard the term a few times, but never what it means.

Second: How do you maintain a "float charge"? Again, I've heard about it and from what i hear it seems like a good thing, but don't know how.

Third: What are some "budget" batteries? I don't need to power a small country, but i would like a decent reserve, as my RF 200.2 beats up on my current battery, a somewhat old Interstate 1000cca.

Fourth, and finally: What are some ways to help keep your batteries healthy, or functional for longer?

Thanks guys!

I forgot to add, that for the time being, i am using a Pyramid 3amp constant/4amp surge AC/DC converter to charge my battery, only temporarily because my friend smoked my actual car battery charger.

-Chris

Edited by DeepSubBoy

If you get a decently sized newer battery you should be fine with just one battery.

Only pulling 400-500 watts won't do to much damage to a normal battery.

If you get a decently sized newer battery you should be fine with just one battery.

Only pulling 400-500 watts won't do to much damage to a normal battery.

Thats exactly my thinking, but even when i crammed as much wire as i can into the power and ground on the RF it still wants more power. Even when this Interstate was brand new. 4awg wasnt enough so i loosened the power/ground teminals and now i have as much solid copper wire as i could fit without breaking anything. the more power i give it, the louder it gets. I only have the gain at 3 out of 7 and the Punch EQ off. At one point we had it wired with 4awg power/ground, and connected to three 850cca batteries, and it drained them pretty fast for an amp rated 400rms @ 4ohms bridged. i think the batteries held up for a little over an hour before it would dim lights and shut off the amp. (car was not running, transmission was out at the time of testing)

Man I new that these last 4 years and $75,000 would be good for something..... And this is it right here. The float charge of a Batt is the Voltage that the batt will maintain with a state of Natural current ( no current out or in just chillin ). Standard lead acid car batt is nothing more than six 2.2 volt cells in one casing. It is conducive to the batts health if you do not pull HUGE amounts of current off the batt and the go and give it a inrush or current greater that the max CCA. This will lead to you warping the plates and the batt will shorting out. Because car batts are secondary chemical electron transfer cells they also have a life cycle of on average 6500 cycles, then once we put amps and other goodies on them that number is almost cut in half. Also use DI water in your batt minerals from regular tap water will cause build up on the plates and electrons will not be able to flow efficiently. Thus giving the batt a higher internal resistance and a lower float charge......I think.....this was like freshman year and I was hungover A LOT

Edited by 144dbFiBl15

Man I new that these last 4 years and $75,000 would be good for something..... And this is it right here. The float charge of a Batt is the Voltage that the batt will maintain with a state of Natural current ( no current out or in just chillin ). Standard lead acid car batt is nothing more than six 2.2 volt cells in one casing. It is conducive to the batts health if you do not pull HUGE amounts of current off the batt and the go and give it a inrush or current greater that the max CCA. This will lead to you warping the plates and the batt will shorting out. Because car batts are secondary chemical electron transfer cells they also have a life cycle of on average 6500 cycles, then once we put amps and other goodies on them that number is almost cut in half. Also use DI water in your batt minerals from regular tap water will cause build up on the plates and electrons will not be able to flow efficiently. Thus giving the batt a higher internal resistance and a lower float charge......I think.....this was like freshman year and I was hungover A LOT

What do you mean use DI water? I am assuming that means distilled, but use it how?

Almost forgot...if you have a gel cell ( like an Optima) or an Dry cell like a Batt cap not all of the above applys... Gel cells can take inrush and draw very well bc the sulfuric acid electrolyte is suspended in an immobilized paste ( like peanut butter) and the plates are a calcium -lead hybrid that is flexible

Yep distilled... if you have a batt that is NOT sealed you can add water/acid to it. you will know if you look at your batt it will have 1 or 2 caps you can pop off and add water. OR if you have a sealed batt then just be nice bc once that baby shorts or the water or acid gets too low..you better get out the check book

Yep distilled... if you have a batt that is NOT sealed you can add water/acid to it. you will know if you look at your batt it will have 1 or 2 caps you can pop off and add water. OR if you have a sealed batt then just be nice bc once that baby shorts or the water or acid gets too low..you better get out the check book

Cool! Now what would addding some distilled water to my Interstate do? And how should i go about doing it?

OK well if you can fill it. then check the level if they are full then nothing. but if the bat is older than it will proly take some water the just fill it up. Also at wall-mart, autozone, etc I have seen acid you can buy to add to ur bat I do not know what the ratio is for the water to acid but I know that all water and no acid will lower you float charge, bc all a bat is is a chemical reaction and you need equal amounts of water lead and acid to make it work to its fullest.....Think of it like checking your oil, just dont get this oil in ur eyes you will go blind and it will hurt

OK well if you can fill it. then check the level if they are full then nothing. but if the bat is older than it will proly take some water the just fill it up. Also at wall-mart, autozone, etc I have seen acid you can buy to add to ur bat I do not know what the ratio is for the water to acid but I know that all water and no acid will lower you float charge, bc all a bat is is a chemical reaction and you need equal amounts of water lead and acid to make it work to its fullest.....Think of it like checking your oil, just dont get this oil in ur eyes you will go blind and it will hurt

:ehh: Think a quick Google search could find me the right ratio... and how would i measure it?

They also sell like a lil eye-dropper type thing that you can take a sample of ur water in ur bat and these two lil balls will float to tell you what ur ratio is I think that thing is called a Hydrometer (again Freshman year) and on average you would like to see the specific gravity if the solution around 1.215 to 1.28 but most hydrometers will have a green area or line and just get it to that line, too high and you will need to take acid out and add water too low means more water. as far as how full to fill it I have always heard that you only need enuf to cover the top of the plates you don't have to fill it right to the top of the fill holes

They also sell like a lil eye-dropper type thing that you can take a sample of ur water in ur bat and these two lil balls will float to tell you what ur ratio is I think that thing is called a Hydrometer (again Freshman year) and on average you would like to see the specific gravity if the solution around 1.215 to 1.28 but most hydrometers will have a green area or line and just get it to that line, too high and you will need to take acid out and add water too low means more water. as far as how full to fill it I have always heard that you only need enuf to cover the top of the plates you don't have to fill it right to the top of the fill holes

Thanks for the info :lol: i will read up on it a little more, and see whether its worth trying it on my current battery.

Hey np man glad to help

does it matter if you use a deep cycle or a "wet" battery for stereos?

No. A deep cycle battery is good if you intend on using it up, draining the battery before it gets recharged. It is designed to handle the stress better. A "wet" battery is simply a lead-acid battery, one of the most common found in most cars.