Sign in to follow this  
mclarengts

Do box shapes effect sound

so i want to keep as much of my trunk as possible, so what im woundering is. My old box was like a perfect square, if the new box is the same cubic feet, but more rectangle than square so it will stay in the rear of my trunk. How will that effect the sound?

perfect cube's are supposed to be very bad for sound quality! it creates some called standing waves i believe, that sounds nasty..

the ideal box shape is one where all sides have a different length...

perfect cube's are supposed to be very bad for sound quality! it creates some called standing waves i believe, that sounds nasty..

could u provides some links to info that could explain this more then "sounds nasty.."

could u provides some links to info that could explain this more then "sounds nasty.."

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MLIdlc3FE4h/learn/learningcenter/home/speakers_glossary.html

Standing waves

Standing waves occur when the sound from your speakers is reflected back and forth between the parallel surfaces in your room: the side walls, the front and rear wall, and the floor and ceiling. This effects amplifies some frequencies while others might get canceled out, creating areas of differing sound pressure or loudness around your room.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MLIdlc3FE4h/learn/learningcenter/home/speakers_glossary.html

Standing waves

Standing waves occur when the sound from your speakers is reflected back and forth between the parallel surfaces in your room: the side walls, the front and rear wall, and the floor and ceiling. This effects amplifies some frequencies while others might get canceled out, creating areas of differing sound pressure or loudness around your room.

thanks

Subwoofer frequencies are long wave lengths. Even a half wave of 100 hz is over 5.5 ft. Not going to get standing waves in a sub box unless you have a dimension over 5.5 ft.

i.e. - Build the box and don't worry about the golden ratio. . .

Brian

Sign in to follow this