Sign in to follow this  
Kyleebbert

If my Alt cant power my amp 100%??

So my amp is 3500watts and my alt only puts out 90amps....so if i hook those up is my amp gonna draw as much power as it can, or does it only draw a certain amount of power depending on how much i turn up my subwoofer?......................................Actually i just took a look at my amp and their is a level control im guessing for the power of the amp,,,,,,,,,,,,so ill just adjust that,,,,but can anyone tell me what the max rms i should put out ????

Edited by KyleEbbert

gonna need more info ... is your amp 3500 watts rms? what is the fuse rating? also what is the brand as some tend to be overrated? ... your amp will only draw as much current as it needs so at higher volumes it is obviously going to draw more to make the sub louder ... the level control is how much output your amp will give ... if u do not know how to adjust this i highly suggest reading how to tune your amp with a dmm (digital multimeter) ... if you adjust it wrong you will cause your amplifier to clip and that has the potential to kill your sub ... people think the higher you turn it up the more power it will produce ... it will produce more power but not useable power ... it will produce heat thus heating up your amp and killing your amp and send square waves instead of sine waves (clipping, what i told you about)

gonna need more info ... is your amp 3500 watts rms? what is the fuse rating? also what is the brand as some tend to be overrated? ... your amp will only draw as much current as it needs so at higher volumes it is obviously going to draw more to make the sub louder ... the level control is how much output your amp will give ... if u do not know how to adjust this i highly suggest reading how to tune your amp with a dmm (digital multimeter) ... if you adjust it wrong you will cause your amplifier to clip and that has the potential to kill your sub ... people think the higher you turn it up the more power it will produce ... it will produce more power but not useable power ... it will produce heat thus heating up your amp and killing your amp and send square waves instead of sine waves (clipping, what i told you about)

its not 3500watt rms its 3500watts total, at 2 ohms is produces about 1700 rms which my sub is 2 ohm...the brand is boss and its a CX3500D chaos extreme class D monoblock..the amp is overrated thus why i bought a 3500watt,,,, the fuse is 30A x 3,,also someone reccomended that i run it at 1 ohm,,,to do that will i only hook my wires to only 1 set of the imputs and outputs from the sub right? Or do you think i should hook it as 2 ohm? ..im new to all this stuff

its not 3500watt rms its 3500watts total, at 2 ohms is produces about 1700 rms which my sub is 2 ohm...the brand is boss and its a CX3500D chaos extreme class D monoblock..the amp is overrated thus why i bought a 3500watt,,,, the fuse is 30A x 3,,also someone reccomended that i run it at 1 ohm,,,to do that will i only hook my wires to only 1 set of the imputs and outputs from the sub right? Or do you think i should hook it as 2 ohm? ..im new to all this stuff

i highly doubt that amp puts out 1700rms with 3 30a fuses.....what are you voice coils on your sub dual 1 or dual 4? you have to wire both of them

Edited by lil98cabrio

3 x 30amps= 90amps

90 x 12 = 1080W

So that is the max power that the amp can put out.

It will be probably below 1000W around 900W RMS or lower.

Watts = Amps x volts so if you take your fuse rating and times it by oh lets say 14.4 we come up with about 1300 watts give or take. That is at 100% efficiency. My Concept amp is a high quality amp and is supposedly 90% efficient. Lets be generous and say the Boss if 80%.

So you lose 20% right there. Then without real good electrical When you crank it you will drop to battery voltage and lower so that puts your volts at about 12ish.

I'm coming up with 850ish watts. A rule of thumb I go by is 75 alternator amps per 1000 watts is a good ratio. So I think your alternator is fine for that amp. I'm not good at math nor am I an electronics engineer so take this with a grain of salt :)

Not slamming your stuff just letting you know how I rate amps personally so you don't get sucked into the rating scam the lower end amps pull.

Edit: Slow typer someone beat me to it lol

Edited by alvitae

u will be fine with that amp ... if you notice voltage dropping look up the big 3 and perform that ... my stock 130 amp alt was doing fine with over 2000 rms without the big 3 =) ... its probably only going to put out about 900 watts at 1 ohm ... what type of subs do you have and what are they dual or single 1,2, or 4 ohm

its a fi bl 18 duel 2 ohm,,, in the booklet my amp came with it says rms power into 4 ohms = 1200wx1_________rms power into 2 ohms = 1700wX1____________Rms power into 1 ohm= 3500wx1,,,,,,but you guys are telling me that it really doesnt put that much out???why do they put that in specifications then its messed up>.......

Edited by KyleEbbert

its a fi bl 18 duel 2 ohm

you can wire either series which will equal 4ohm or parallel which will equal 1 ohm

Edited by lil98cabrio

The rms on the bl is 1000 if I remember right? Wire it parallel. Positive of one coil to the positive of the other coil then to the positive on the amp. Same thing with the negatives.

Wiring diagram

series is 4 ohm, not 1 ohm.

parallel is 1 ohm, not 4 ohm.

Fuses on an amp is there to protect the incoming current, not the output, lol.

30x3= 90A of protected incoming current.

If the amp were to constantly pull this or higher, it will blow.

You can still damage that sub as i have a feeling you will with this amp so before you damage it, have the amp tuned properly and ask what is the maximum volume that the amp has been tuned too.

Once you know this, never go any higher than this and never increase any other setting either!