detonnation

Opinion wanted-- for an SQ setup.

Ok I have a 12" Fi Q and love it! So I was wondering if someone could point me to examples of full range or almost full range 6.5 round drivers for the back seats in the doors. Right now I have full range Pioneer drivers, but was wondering if getting something like AAs Poly Driver would improve the quality of the sound, or should I not bother. Somehow Fi is related to Ascendant Audio, not sure how though..

Thanks.

Mike

Ok I have a 12" Fi Q and love it! So I was wondering if someone could point me to examples of full range or almost full range 6.5 round drivers for the back seats in the doors. Right now I have full range Pioneer drivers, but was wondering if getting something like AAs Poly Driver would improve the quality of the sound, or should I not bother. Somehow Fi is related to Ascendant Audio, not sure how though..

Thanks.

Mike

What do your front speakers consist of? Those are more important than the rears, as you hear those a lot more.

Thanks.

Mike

What do your front speakers consist of? Those are more important than the rears, as you hear those a lot more.

My fronts are Pioneer Premier PRS-720, which are pretty nice. Smooth, awesome clarity... nice punch.. My Hu is the Pioneer 880 PRS... Driving the 4 speakers is a Kenwood Class D 120W x 4.

The rears are used for fill? Not sure if I need full range or not I just thought the mid range driver was interesting. I think the SQ is very good, just looking for that next level.

Mike

Not Sure What Your Definition Of Sound Quality Is, But Coaxials In The Rear Damn Sure Don't Cut It.

And I Think They Don't Make The Poly Anymore, They Went With A Carbon Fiber Cone.

I'd Run Just A Set Of AA Carbon Mids/Tweets In The Front Doors, Ditch The Rears.

Ascendant Audio Is The Dealer Based Operation Whereas Fi Is Direct Only. Ran And Owned By The Same People.

Not Sure What Your Definition Of Sound Quality Is, But Coaxials In The Rear Damn Sure Don't Cut It.

And I Think They Don't Make The Poly Anymore, They Went With A Carbon Fiber Cone.

I'd Run Just A Set Of AA Carbon Mids/Tweets In The Front Doors, Ditch The Rears.

Ascendant Audio Is The Dealer Based Operation Whereas Fi Is Direct Only. Ran And Owned By The Same People.

Well... I cant tell if AA is in business. The carbon fiber mids arent on there website... Plus shouldnt they be paired with a tweet and crossover? Maybe they are. Where would one purchase them in the 11703 zip code?

Plus, will they fit in a 6.5" opening? And what of I just put the mids in would that kill the sound. I dont think I would replace the Pioneer components in the front. They are pretty damn nice.

Thanks.

Mike

Your title has SQ which means NO rears.

Perhaps it would be better to describe what you need to improve with your front stage, not so sure that the proposed upgrade on mids will do all that much...

Your title has SQ which means NO rears.

Perhaps it would be better to describe what you need to improve with your front stage, not so sure that the proposed upgrade on mids will do all that much...

OK... So no rears.... to keep it a pure 2.1 sound. What is the rationale? That it interferes with the soundstage? So I guess I could go active with the fronts?

Thanks.

Mike

Interferes with just about everything, waves can either destructively or constructively add there is no other option.

Active could help, but again it depends on what your goals and current issues are. It is impossible to recommend improvements without knowing what needs improving.

I would think the weakest element is the highs... I EQd it so they are ok, but they can get bright on some material. BEsides that things seem pretty good.

Are the front AA components definitely better than the high end Pioneer I have. Maybe its a matter of trying a new set of components.

Mike

Personally, I Don't Like Anything From Pioneer Besides Some Headunits, But To Each His Own.

I'd Contact bkolfo4 Aka Brian. He's The Resident AA Dealer On This Forum, And A Damn Good Guy IMHO.

What Model Components Are They, Anyway?

The fronts are the TS-C720PRS. Rears: TS-D702P. I bought the ront component because of everything I heard they sounded the best. Open, smooth with good clarity.

Perhaps Ill look into the AA... I just dont want to build my own crossovers... Im no rocket scientist, but you might be of that opinion already lol.

Peace.

Mike

If I'm Not Mistaken, AA Has An Arbiter Crossover For Them.

....Or You Can Run Active. :P

Edited by BigCProductions99

You have great mids. It seems you only may need to change the tweeters. Depending on your taste you may want to look at Seas Neo Aluminum or Soft, and Vifa XT19 Soft Dome. Lotsa people drive those Pioneer mids with Alpine Type X-Pro tweets with great results, which potentially can take you to the next level you're looking for.

You have great mids. It seems you only may need to change the tweeters. Depending on your taste you may want to look at Seas Neo Aluminum or Soft, and Vifa XT19 Soft Dome. Lotsa people drive those Pioneer mids with Alpine Type X-Pro tweets with great results, which potentially can take you to the next level you're looking for.

Thanks. Im going to try new tweets next. They should be easy enough to swap out. I think I like soft dome better. So Ill try them. I like laid back, but detailed... I dont like forward sounding systems... Which is better Seas or Vifa?, or the Alpine?

Mike

All three manufacturers make many different choices. I have some Alpines that are Vifa's and some that are Scan-speaks.

I realize there were specific models cited above, but without knowing your mounting requirements and tastes it is pretty hard to recommend. Better is subjective and won't be the same for all people btw.

www.madisound.com

:D

Just To Specify Also, I Run 640 Watts RMS On My Front Stage With Only 4 Drivers, I Am NOT Considered An SQ Guy.

Well, I Will Be Running That Much When I Get My Morel CAT378's, These Damn Selenium ST350's Can't Handle It, And They Sound Like :bull:

Edited by BigCProductions99

All three manufacturers make many different choices. I have some Alpines that are Vifa's and some that are Scan-speaks.

I realize there were specific models cited above, but without knowing your mounting requirements and tastes it is pretty hard to recommend. Better is subjective and won't be the same for all people btw.

True. I hAVE a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 , and Id like to keep the tweeters in the factory pillars. I noticed that some of the tweeters were huge! So small, sweet sounding for rock and jazz mostly. Nothing bright or etched sounding. Does that help with taste. As for size Ill have to look around the web, but the tweets on the Pioneer components fit nicely.

Thanks.

Mike

I haven't heard the illuminators, but have serious wood for these:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_324&products_id=907

Great small formats. :)

Is that 200 a piece. Ouch!

Is there a way to get a hold of the Vifa XT 19 Alpine versions, and do you think I could keep the same passive crossover, since I hope not to rewire and just do a drop in.

Mike

If you are going to use that crappy passive you really shouldn't spend more than $10 a tweet. Even that I would say is counter productive. Passives cannot be interchanged.

If you are going to use that crappy passive you really shouldn't spend more than $10 a tweet. Even that I would say is counter productive. Passives cannot be interchanged.

OK... hmm....

I would think you could come close. Its a 12 db crossover... Ahh.. I dont know much about it...

OK let me think this over.

M

OK... hmm....

I would think you could come close. Its a 12 db crossover... Ahh.. I dont know much about it...

OK let me think this over.

M

If you can find a tweeter with the exact same sensitivity and exact same impedance then fine. Obviously 'exact' can vary a bit depending on your goals, but I guarantee the drivers you are looking at now are far from what you have so I think it is a terrible idea to just swap the tweeter.

If it were an electronic crossover then you could.