Sign in to follow this  
RFIRE15

Mangnum Install...

Looks like this new awesome sub will actually be going into my girlfriends alero.

The goal that I am trying to acomplish is to make everything hiddin from the trunk view. So the sub will fire into the cabin, as well as the port. I would like to seal the box from the trunk, and match the fabric from inside the trunk so you can't tell that she has anything in there.

I want this sub to get reallllly loud, it needs to sound pretty good too.. but loud is good :)

I am pretty good at building things... i have built a few sealed boxes that worked really well, but i have yet to experiment with a ported enclouser.

The hifonics 1000D seems like the amp i am leaning towards, but i haven't purchased it yet.

So i need some box designs... internal volume, port dementions.. and what tunning hz that will come out to..

and will that internal volume include the port... blah blah, all insite would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Well the enclosure specifics need to be determined by you. Measure the area that you're working with, take into consideration the thickness of the enclosure material you are going to be using, and post internal dimensions on here. Also, are you going to be using round ports or a slot port? What limitations on a slot port do you have?

BTW: Unless you totally seal off the trunk from the cab, the subwoofer system would sound best if it were fired towards the rear of the vehicle. But if you posess the constitution to go as far as deadening, sealing, and strengthening the trunk so there will be minimal interaction, then by all means go for it.

Edited by Electrodynamic

thats what i figured...

i might just go with a regular rectangle box slot ported... box can't be higher then 17inches, and as shallow as possible..

roughly 35inches wide is max :)

Are those O.D. or I.D. dimensions? If they're O.D., what thickness of wood are you going to be using? Also, what's the depth on the enclosure? Post up I.D.'s on your enclosure and we'll get to work on tuning and such.

Edited by Electrodynamic

The measurements i gave were of the trunk.. so they are "would be" outter deminsions

3/4 inch MDF will be used

I can work out the final exact design.. though maybe i'm still not too sure on the how to figure up the port. I just figured i could get the deminsions of the port and build the box off of that to the correct interal volume..

but ur the man ;)

All measurements assuming 3/4" building material with a targeted 2 net cubic feet tuned to 30 Hz:

35 W x 15.5 T x ? D - O.D.

33.5 x 14 x ? D - I.D.

Vent = 2 x 14" tall x 36.25" long (1" for end correction added) = 1015 => 0.58 cubes of port displacement.

Driver displacement = 0.10 cubes. Total displacement is 0.68 cubic feet with driver and port displacement.

Using reverse math to find out the depth of the enclosure -

4631 / 33.5 = 138.24, 138.24 / 14 = 9.87"

Internal depth of the enclosure needs to be 10."

So, internally you end up with 33.5 x 14 x 10, which equals 4690 cu. in. Divide that by 1728 to get cu. ft. and the result is 2.71 cubic feet*.

* The "left over volume" will be taken up with wood used to build the slot port.

Now just add the neccessary amount for the 3/4" building material and you end up with an enclosure that measures 35" W x 15.5" T x 11.5" D externally and 33.5" W x 14" T x 10" D internally with a port that runs vertically on the edge of your enclosure using the internal height that measures 2" W x 14" T x 36.25" L (you will have to 'wrap' it around the inside of your enclosure).

I hope this helps.

you = my hero again :) i'll see if i can draw that up...

thanks for the help, excellent info!!

i'll post pics of the box as i'm building it :P

I just threw those numbers into WinISD... the delay with air velicoty is like 28ms... i read somewhere that you should never have more then 21ms

any input?

You can increase the size of your port if you really feel like it's neccessary. If you want me to reconfigure the enclosure for a larger port you will probably increase your tuning because the port is going to displace more volume, which in turn will raise your tuning frequency.

The port that I figured out for you, however, will be fine for daily use. ...unless this is going to be a competition enclosure.

Everything is good.. its going to be for daily use :)

I'm already in the progess of building the box.. should be done tonight, i'll post some build pics so yous can make fun of something i screwed up lol. God i hope i built this thing right ;)

Haha, cool stuff. Hopefully everything turns out good. Post lots of pics...and a review of how they sound if you can. :)

Well.. here are some pics...

had to test it with a 4channel amp (only working one i have now, so just pay no attention to the wire coming out of the port lol

what do you think guys???

she sound pucking awesome even with my 500watt pyrimad amp lol

post-25-1073163452.jpg

Looks good thus far.

Boy that thing is sexy.

Should be a law that states you must invert it :D

- Steve

very nice port :slayer::slayer:

Thank guys!!! I was kind of expecting some critisizm, seems like i did ok for my first time :)

Yes, very well done...especially the port! Most people just wrap the port around the inside walls of the enclosure. Just wait 'til you get a real amp on it and then give us your thoughts. :D