tweekerz

need help designing my new enclosure...

Hey guys. Its time to try something new. Not sure what will happen to the sound if i tune my box higher or make it larger. I'm 1.5^3 tuned to 28hz now. love the flat response curve and helps the sub sound really low. What would happen to sq if I make the enclosure larger like 2.0^3 and/or tune higher? TIA

Easy (yet involved) way: Make a testing box. Make a box that is saaay 4.0ft net with alot of port area, saaay 60 sq ins. Tune it as high as You are willing to go, saaaay 40hz. Now, try it, if You dont like it, use plugs to bring the port area down a little (same length & vB) and try that. You can also use hard foam to fill in the box vB - but keep in mind that Your tuning will go UP if You do this without changing the port area.

This way You can try alot of arrangements while only having to build one box. Once You find an alignment you like, saaaaay 2.35687ft tuned to 34.789hz, etc, You build a new box to that spec. Todah.

Not as easy of way: Build a whole lot of different boxes and see which You;d like best.

IMO for that woofer: I'd try ~2.5ft tuned @ 30hz w/~30sq in of port.

-Nick

Easy (yet involved) way: Make a testing box. Make a box that is saaay 4.0ft net with alot of port area, saaay 60 sq ins. Tune it as high as You are willing to go, saaaay 40hz. Now, try it, if You dont like it, use plugs to bring the port area down a little (same length & vB) and try that. You can also use hard foam to fill in the box vB - but keep in mind that Your tuning will go UP if You do this without changing the port area.

This way You can try alot of arrangements while only having to build one box. Once You find an alignment you like, saaaaay 2.35687ft tuned to 34.789hz, etc, You build a new box to that spec. Todah.

Not as easy of way: Build a whole lot of different boxes and see which You;d like best.

IMO for that woofer: I'd try ~2.5ft tuned @ 30hz w/~30sq in of port.

-Nick

thanks for the tip.

whats your logic behind the 2.5 tuned at 30hz? if you could explain the difference in sound between what i have now it would help me tremendously. thanks.

Rl-p 12?

I really really like my 2ft^3 tuned to 28Hz enclosure.

yeah mines the 12. but i was told to keep the net vol down due to the higher power (1000w). going up to 2.0^3, whats the difference with 1.5^3? lower bass?

Better low frequency response, flatter response.

I am using a Hifonics like you @ 1 ohm with no issues whatsoever (besides the amp quitting on me of course), but I also set everything very carefully (use a o-scope to set the gain, and use no bass boosts, etc)

Better low frequency response, flatter response.

I am using a Hifonics like you @ 1 ohm with no issues whatsoever (besides the amp quitting on me of course), but I also set everything very carefully (use a o-scope to set the gain, and use no bass boosts, etc)

Im not using bass boost or the bass exploder knob, although gains have been set by ear. if i tune higher, say 35hz... i will have a more peaky response but that means more spl?

yeah...but not much of a peaky response...

i put my 12 in 2ft^3 tuned to 34 hz and 32in^2 of port of 1200wrms...no issues what so ever...

go 2ft^3, tune 32-36 hz...u'll be glad ya did

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: